Cesplatin and Hearing

I was diagnosed with HPV.  Received 35 radiation treatment and 3 chemo Cesplatin.  I completed treatement on Sept 1st.    Since completion it has been very hard to hear.  I feel I have about 20 percent in both ears.  Also buzzing and ringing.  Has anyone had these side effect and seen improvement?  If so how long for improvement.  I am hoping and praying it's not permanent. Please let me know.

Comments

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2017 #2
    Hearing

Did you have a hearing test prior to starting treament?  My husband was asked to have one before and after.  

• Sinus2016
    Sinus2016 Member Posts: 36
    Ears

Sorry don't have any advice. I completed my treatment last October, which also included cisplatin & radiation. Had  a hearing tset before treatment and one in July and yes my hearing has changed losing the ability to hear higher pitched noise.  Most difficult understanding in meeting, restaurants, etc.  I don't really expect it to get better.  Hopefully your loss is not to severe.

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Cisplatin and hearing

Hi, I had the same treatment as you hearing was tested 20 minutes before the first Cisplatin

Hearing was tested again 3rd of September 10 weeks after treatment finished. I have lost about 10% to 15% hearing and get tinnitus (sounds like a tone inside my head). I don’t notice the tinnitus as much now it might have reduced from when I first finished. I have been told the hearing loss from Cisplatin is permanent.

• Doug Fight1234
    Doug Fight1234 Member Posts: 6
    soonermom said:

Hearing

Did you have a hearing test prior to starting treament?  My husband was asked to have one before and after.  

No I did not have a test.

No I did not have a test.

• Doug Fight1234
    Doug Fight1234 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks does anyone know or

Thanks does anyone know or heard of anyone's hearing improve??

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Huh?

I am  9 months post 7 weeks of Cisplastin and Radiation. I still having ringing in my ears constantly. I was not tested pre treatment or post treatment. I think I have some slight loss of hearing as well. I guess I just have gotten used to the loss and ringing. I have a few friends that are a few years out of similar treatment and the ringing remains. Overall I can live just fine with ringing. Some days it is just a little more annoying than other.

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Hearing

I lost my hearing 10 years ago because of the cisplatan.  I didn't have the tests before, and didn't know this was a side affect.  The ear doc I saw afterwards said that it wouldn't come back, and it hasn't.  He also said that had I had the lower dose, it might not have done the trick. Or some of the things that you can take to "save" the hearing - might have reduced the effectiveness of the treatment.  So, I live with it - and got hearing aids.  I have been taking benadryl to help me get to sleep, but recently stopped. Sleeping okay.

Lorna

2007 & 2014

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Sorry you've had hearing loss

I had the 3 mega doses of cisplatin (and 35 radiations). The cancer center tested my hearing prior to treatment. My test came back excellent. My chemo doc said he saw no reason to continue testing while going through treatment. He said he would simply let me tell him if I was experiencing any side effects. My treatment ended 3 weeks ago. I do not feel that I lost any hearing. I do occasionally have ringing in my ears. But that only lasts about 5 minutes and I barely notice it.

What I've been told is that the damage only occurs during treatment and it is usually not reversible.