How Long Before Doing Hard Abdominal Contractions

Options
Tesla1
Tesla1 Member Posts: 46

I am 18 weeks post partial nephrectomy using the robotic procedure. I still have pain in my abdominal muscles when doing planks but I can do them on my knees which takes some stress off the abdominals. I'd like to hear from others that can share their experience regarding how long it took before you could confidently do hard abdominal contractions.

Comments

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    Options
    I was back in the gym in

I was back in the gym in about three months, so a similar time frame to yours.  I spent the first couple of weeks gradually increasing the duration and intensity of treadmill walking/running.  After that first couple of weeks, I started to do weight work and gradually moved back to my pre-operation amount of weight and reps.  Planks and other ab work probably about a month or so after that.  So I guess it was a total of about 20 weeks or so before I put a lot of pressure on my abs.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Gradual approach

I applaud the approach Bay Area Guy took after his surgery.  I on the other hand was not as patient.  As soon as the day came that the doctor said I could get back to running and lifting weights, I did---no gradual approach here.  Within a week, I had some issues with abdominal pain that really caused a lot of concern.  I backed off for about a week and the pain subsided.  I'm a year out from surgery now and back to running half marathons and lifting weights.  I still have (at times) some discomfort but that seems normal.  

Stub 

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    edited September 2017 #4
    Options
    stub1969 said:

Gradual approach

I applaud the approach Bay Area Guy took after his surgery.  I on the other hand was not as patient.  As soon as the day came that the doctor said I could get back to running and lifting weights, I did---no gradual approach here.  Within a week, I had some issues with abdominal pain that really caused a lot of concern.  I backed off for about a week and the pain subsided.  I'm a year out from surgery now and back to running half marathons and lifting weights.  I still have (at times) some discomfort but that seems normal.  

Stub 

Stub, my approach wasn't for

Stub, my approach wasn't for lack of trying to go faster.  My wife threatened me with a sledge hammer if I went too soon.  So, in the interest of marital harmony (not to mention keeping my head in one piece), I acceeded to her gentle prodding.  LOL.

I did, however, walk and walk and walk.  I would take at least two 1-1/2 hour walks a day, and we live up in the hills, so I got a lot of pretty intense walks.  The gym was actually a relief once I got back there.

• nbenabe
    nbenabe Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 12 weeks post surgery I

I am 12 weeks post surgery I had a partial nephrectomy on my left kidney and now I can finally do ab  workouts however side planks are still painful feels like I'm stretching the incision. i wonder if there is a huge difference between surgery recovery time & robotic procedure recovering time. 

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Open vs. laparscopic

Healing is much faster with laparscopic surgery compared to open.  I'm not sure about recovery time with robotic vs hand assisted.

• Tesla1
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.

Thanks for your responses.

• Tesla1
    Options
    5 months post surgery now and

5 months post surgery now and could only do 3 regular pushups before going to my knees and finshing the set that way. I could only do 2 a few weeks ago but not sure if I had progressed enough to do 3 since I felt a bit more pain than the last time.

• JerzyGrrl
    JerzyGrrl Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The ab / core thing

I started doing push-ups and wall-planks against a wall, then eventually moved to putting my hands on the edge of the sink to do that. There is no dishonor in doing push-ups or planks on one's knees.

I'd rather shovel manure or sling cinders than do pilates or burpees and I'm not real keen on shoveling or slinging, so am grateful to the "abdominal surgery" as a wonderful reason NOT to do any of those. Nobody in my neighborhood has more manure to shovel than they can manage, or at least they haven't asked me to help. Also, there's no need to scatter grit on anything, so I'm spared the twist-bend-lift-fling movements. But getting outside is always good!

I'm finally considering getting back to doing sits against the wall. Considering it... I'm 10 months post-surgery, so it's time to get moving a bit more (and I want to do some camping, bike touring, and boating, so I need to get back in shape to do that).