First day of radiation...I have noticed something already...help

Hi All, I went for my first treatment today. I took Ativan but probably won't need it again as I didn't find it stressful. My question is for anyone who has had neck dissection with resulting nerve damage, prior to rads. I found after treatment that the nerve in my ear was  quite irritated and painful (that's part of the field). My jaw stiff. Coincidence? My meds have tended not to help nerve pain though it was getting better. With all the meds that I need to take surrounding cisplatin on Wednesdays, I am wondering if I should ask to start Lyrica ( as needed). I don't want to let this go because I am tiny and need to eat. I apologize for being a pita, thanks!

Comments

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    I didn't have ear problems.

I didn't have ear problems. But if you have concerns, express them to your radiation oncologist. Every patient has varying responses.  

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    edited September 2017 #3
    Bebo, I will. Guess we are

Bebo, I will. Guess we are all different and depends on what came first. 

• Emptywun
    Emptywun Member Posts: 2
    Weird ear pains

Hey Curlyn,  I also had some ear pain following neck dissection, but mine has tended to come and go sporadically and never seemed to be phased in the least by whatever pain medication I might be taking at the time.  I suspect partly that it's nerves trying to grow back, and partly that it's your brain looking for the data it used to be receiving and interpreting whatever is there as pain.  Sorry yours sounds worse than mine ever got, and I hope your Dr.'s have a better answer!

• JBBW
    JBBW Member Posts: 30
    Didn't happen to me

I didn't start having reactions to the radiation treatment till a few days later.  Nothing painful or like your are describing.  Just be sure to make your doctor aware of it the next time you see them.

Oh, - just saw the original post date.  I hope things went well.