Ten years after

beaumontdave
beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
edited September 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

It's the tenth anniversity of my diagnosis, on Monday, also my sweet wife"s birthday. Sep. puts so many things on my mind, our anniversary[Sep. 1], 3 years from Labor Day surgery[Sep. 6]. Mixed feelings everywhere, I feel like I have a shot at life beyond constant cancer tests and treatments. Three surgeries, two to get it out of my liver, the last now three years and counting. Life with cancer is about counting time. So what do I want to say, with all these new folk just starting this scary road? I want to give hope, I want you to believe that you can beat this awful stuff. If you can't beat it, science is closing in on therapies to either extend the fight, or beat it. Hope is huge in this game, and I wish it for everyone here. Beyond that, I want surgery to fix the huge hernia that I carry, which may come early Dec. I want to be a survivor story, as we all do, but I still live with the same incertainties, and always will. Truly everyone, if they knew, would sweat the same odds, anyone can join this group, any day. Given all that, I look forward to a clean slate and the fixes that I hope to get to further the things I want to accomplish. If not, I'll be here, bitching about bad luck, otherwise I'll still be here, talking up my experience with late stage cancer, and losing Cindy, because people here, need to hear it. And I need the perspective that I found here to stay imprinted in me............................................Dave 

Comments

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Dave, I sure appreciate your

Dave, I sure appreciate your post.  My diagnosis was in May of this year and it's so encouraging to know thete is great hope for all of us.  I know the road ahead is going to be tough, but will be worth it to fight hard.

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    I appreciate it too. It is

I appreciate it too. It is great that we have these treatments for cancer but it truly is a battle and a long one at that.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment

Wishing you the best and I'm glad you are getting your hernia taken care of.  Mine two hurt me so they were repaired and it feels much better.  Sounds like Sept is a difficult month.  Think we always have that moment when we think back about it.  You are right, science is helping much more now than even back when my diagnosis was given.  Hoping that all goes well with surgery.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Ten years!

Ten years!

That is a milestone to celebrate. I wish your dear Cindy were here to celebrate with you, the victory must be somewhat bittersweet. 

We didn't get to meet this year, but lets do it next year. 

Here's to TEN more, dear forum friend image.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Cheers!

Thanks for your post and giving us all an extra dose of hope.  May your next ten years be happy and healthy. 

Pam 

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    G'day Dave

My mantra has always been "surviving survival ain't easy". I don't have to tell you about it. One of the problems with surviving is that life is always getting in the way. Losing a loved one is never easy, we've both gone thru it in different ways. Whichever way it leaves you in a dark place alone. If you have family to surround you , that's a bonus. If you don't you either find other survival skills or you fade away.  This coming january 22nd i reach 20 years. I guess I am just too ornery to die. Cancer and numerous other diseases keep taking shots at me. Your comment on hernias reminded me that I must get something done about mine one day. It has been there twenty years , perhaps I should just let it be. as time goes by I'm starting to feel like a v8 running on three cylinders. As each problem arises I am rminded that at least I am still quite good at one thing...survival.. Congratulations on the ten years may your survival last a long ,long time.. Ron.

• mike v
    mike v Member Posts: 1
    hey guys

hey guys,

my name is mike ,father of 2 girls and was diagnosed w stage4 colon cancer in march....since then 3 months of chemo,,,,then surgery,,and this tuesday i will have my last chemo..i had a spot in my liver but since i reacted good to chemo the lesion "disappeared " and they did not re sect my liver ( honestly i was a little bummed they didnt resect) but i decided fron th estart to put my trust in God and my doctors...i had a liver MRI last week and it said it was clean....being scared right now is the WORSE thing for me now..worse than chemo!..nice to hear your stories and words of encouragenment!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    mike v said:

hey guys

hey guys,

my name is mike ,father of 2 girls and was diagnosed w stage4 colon cancer in march....since then 3 months of chemo,,,,then surgery,,and this tuesday i will have my last chemo..i had a spot in my liver but since i reacted good to chemo the lesion "disappeared " and they did not re sect my liver ( honestly i was a little bummed they didnt resect) but i decided fron th estart to put my trust in God and my doctors...i had a liver MRI last week and it said it was clean....being scared right now is the WORSE thing for me now..worse than chemo!..nice to hear your stories and words of encouragenment!

Hi Mile v

Being scared does get better but never goes away; well, for a Stage IV dx at least.  

Welcome to the forum.  It is happy news that you join us with, and may it last forever. 

As for being bummed about the resection, I had an ablation and that was SOOOOO much better than a resection. 

Tru