Female Age 23. Hemorrhoids, Colon/Bowel Cancer or Something Else.

Hello All,

This message may be a little long because there is a lot of back story so I apologize but bear with me here. So, I noticed a few months ago that I had bright red blood on the toilet paper and in my stool (a long streak along one side of the stool) but didn't pay very much attention to it for whatever reason. Up until recently I had the attitude that I was invincible from being so young, I thought I wouldn't have to worry about any diseases until much later in life. Anyways, the anxiety all started when I noticed a small growth/mole that looked more like a scratch form on my breast. I went and got it biopsied by a dermatologist and it came back with mild to moderate atypical cells but it was all removed with the biopsy. You would think one would be happy with these results since it was caught early and the doc said that it is more common than most people think. But instead it has started a horrible snowball effect of stress, anxiety and hypochondria. Since then, I figured it would probably make sense to go get this rectal bleeding thing checked out by a doc. I went to my general doctor and he examined the area and said it was without a doubt hemorrhoids and anal fissures (he could see a skin tag from a resolved hemorrhoid poking out and a couple of cuts around the anus). This felt relieving at first but later on the stress and anxiety persisted because people that are close to me started mentioning that I am looking rather thin. They mentioned this before my worries started but I didn't pay it any mind. This could very well be from the fact that I have started a plant based diet where I have cut out all meats, poultry, junk food and I occasionally have fish but other than that mostly fruits, veggies, rice and potatoes. Before, I had a little habit of night snacking on ice cream, peanut butter and I drank more beer than I do now but have since stopped. Also, I have recently started an accounting job and maybe it was causing some added stress. I usually am very active but with this desk job that I'm adjusting to I have not been able to workout as much but I have started to go back to hot yoga and that has made me feel a lot better. What has really worried me is the fact that people are showing concern about my weight. I have fluctuated throughout my life but I'm just hoping that it's because I'm losing baby fat now that I'm in my 20's. I've read that can happen. But I have always been on the slimmer side, never overweight and always active (I ran my first marathon at age 16). I suppose recently I have been eating less with being so busy. But I don't know, it's hard for me to recall if I've actually experienced unexplained weight loss since I've always been on the slimmer side. Anyways, Over Labor Day weekend I was not able to keep anything down so my parents took me to the ER a couple of times and all my blood tests and CAT scans came back clear. Two different doctors both said that I was overall mostly just dehydrated and having panic attacks. I was having cramps but I started my period just before going into the ER so that explains that (the period was very light though, which I thought was due to stress and not eating). When I was younger and training a lot I stopped having my period all together so it's not that that was super abnormal for me. At that point I wouldn't doubt if I was overly freaking out to the point that I made myself sick from looking stuff up on he internet and constantly fixating on it. Being stuck in a cubicle all day long to stew on it does not help at all either. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that around the time I originally went to the first doctor I do remember being constipated one time, probably due to lack of fiber in my diet. But since I've taken on the plant based life style there has been very minimal blood in my stool (if at all) and I can pass stool a lot easier. But there are still small traces of blood sometimes. From what I've read it seems like people who experience  hemorrhoids have blood that comes and goes (like I appear to be having) but with colon or bowel cancer is seems to persist and the stools look pretty gnarly (which I wouldn't say mine does). Sometimes I feel like I have a grumbling tummy or slight abdominal pain but I honestly think it's phantom pains and I often have to think long and hard on whether it actually hurts or if it's all in my head. Lastly, when I went to the ER they told me that everything looks good but there were small traces of blood when doing a rectal exam so I would need to schedule a colonoscopy just to be sure, so I did. However, after receiving all these medical bills that I have accumulated over he last couple months, I cancelled the procedure because I was beginning to become in severe debt from all of this and the colonoscopy was going to add another $1,500 to that debt. I know, I know you all are going to say that was probably stupid and it's better off to just know what's going on but ya know what, I'm 23 years old and unfortunately sometimes with finances it is what it is. It's just the weight loss that I am still stuck on. I obviously have become a severe hypochondriac and I don't know how to manage it. I have emailed my general doctor to at least have him take a stool sample since I was unable to provide one at the ER from not being able to eat. I'm sure all that will tell me though is if I have parasites or blood in my stool. I guess I already know the answer, get the colonoscopy to be absolutely sure. But I think it would help to hear stories and advice from some of you guys. I wouldn't say I feel any fatigue and I highly doubt I would be able to do intense hot yoga classes all the way through and feel fine afterwards (if anything I feel better after) if I am sick with something serious like cancer or some autoimmune disease. I have also considered that maybe I have a hyperactive thyroid or maybe I'm depressed from not working out when my body is used to it and probably needs it. I'm tired of going to all these doctors and them telling me not to worry, I'm young, it'll be fine. No story online has a good outcome with those answers and all the news articles with these young people in their twenties being diagnosed with cancer all start the same way: the doctor said it was hemorrhoids and that they are too young to have colon cancer. Ughhh someone please help. I'm glad things like Reddit are out there to hear others stories. It makes you feel not so alone. <3 thanks guys! 

Sincerely, 

Hypo

Comments

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Colonoscopy

i would get a colonoscopy, do whatever it takes, put it on your credit card if you have to.  It could save your life, and if it comes back clear, you will be put at ease.  

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    You're never too young to get

You're never too young to get a colonoscopy.   That's how mine was caught.  Everything else said I was as healthy as a 20 year old.   I should have done it a few years ago and now I'm paying for it.   I'm way past my 20's but don't think that people much older don't buy into that "Im invinciple" nonsense.  No one is.