Tongue still numb after surgery

Options

I had SCC of the tongue and had surgery (no skin graft though) on May 18th and am about 6 weeks post RADS.  Part of my tongue is still numb and I was wondering if other people had numbness that lasted a long time and how long did it take to get back to "normal".  

Thanks!

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    you are probably early in the game

El23fields,

I had lower tongue surgery to remove an ulcer and if I think about it, it still feels like something has been done.  Not really numb, not at all painful, just different.  I have gotten used to it as part of my new normal.  My old normal never made an appearance; it is gone as are my twenties.

I still am making improvements to my dry mouth, tasting and eating. I will take the improvements whatever they are.

Matt

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had a tumor removed 3/16 

I had a tumor removed 3/16  from the side of my tongue and I still have numbness.  I don't mind that so much as I can't deal with how mis-shapen my tongue is now.  You might always have some degree of numbness.

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Numbness

It really depends on what your doctor tells you regarding whether a nerve was cut or disturbed.  My right neck has been numb for over 5 years and I don't ever expect it to get better.  Sorry to hear it's still giving you trouble.  

• El23fields
    El23fields Member Posts: 11
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

you are probably early in the game

El23fields,

I had lower tongue surgery to remove an ulcer and if I think about it, it still feels like something has been done.  Not really numb, not at all painful, just different.  I have gotten used to it as part of my new normal.  My old normal never made an appearance; it is gone as are my twenties.

I still am making improvements to my dry mouth, tasting and eating. I will take the improvements whatever they are.

Matt

Thanks, Matt.  And..Lol...my

Thanks, Matt.  And..Lol...my twenties are long gone too!

The dry mouth and lack of saliva is something to contend with, but I'm hoping to have some improvements too.  Trying to stay positive is challenging sometimes when you can't taste and everything feels like thick paste in your mouth.  Ugh.

E

E

• El23fields
    edited September 2017 #6
    Options
    Tonita said:

I had a tumor removed 3/16 

I had a tumor removed 3/16  from the side of my tongue and I still have numbness.  I don't mind that so much as I can't deal with how mis-shapen my tongue is now.  You might always have some degree of numbness.

Me too

My tongue is a little mis-shapen too and still hurts when I really try to move it a lot in my mouth.  I'm guessing it'll always be like that.  I too, was a terrible smoker (for shame), but was doing e-cigs the last 3 years before my diagnosis,  Not really sure if that's the cause or if it was HPV.  I was never told so I just have to assume smoking was the culprit.  The dry mouth & lack of saliva is a huge pain right now, but hope it'll get better.  I'm not the most patient person.  

Thanks and take care!

E

• El23fields
    Options

Numbness

It really depends on what your doctor tells you regarding whether a nerve was cut or disturbed.  My right neck has been numb for over 5 years and I don't ever expect it to get better.  Sorry to hear it's still giving you trouble.  

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the input.

My right neck is numb along w/ the tongue, but I'll take the numbness if the dry mouth goes away and the taste comes back.  I'm hoping the numbness isn't comtributing to the dry mouth though.  It's just the weirdest feeling.