Neulasta

Options
Ruthmomto4
Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member

one of the drugs the new oncologist mentioned my husband getting was neulasta, I have no idea why but  this drug bothers me. There is no rational reason. Has anyone here used this? It just seems like one more thing to add into his system just to be safe, but it seems to have to potential to not be so easily tolerated. 

Comments

• Watersprite3
    Watersprite3 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    While I was under treatment I

While I was under treatment I got the Neulasta.  I had Folfox, about three hours of infusion followed by a 46 hour pump that was disconnected in two days.  When it was disconnected I got the shot of Neulasta each time.  I was told it was to make sure that my white count didn't plummet which could postpone treatments.  I never really had a problem with it, but my doctor told me to take Claritin for three days, before, the day of, and after.  I don't know if it did anything but I didn't have excruciating bone pain, just a little achiness the first day.  My white count stayed up the whole time.

Eileen

• Ruthmomto4
    Options

While I was under treatment I

While I was under treatment I got the Neulasta.  I had Folfox, about three hours of infusion followed by a 46 hour pump that was disconnected in two days.  When it was disconnected I got the shot of Neulasta each time.  I was told it was to make sure that my white count didn't plummet which could postpone treatments.  I never really had a problem with it, but my doctor told me to take Claritin for three days, before, the day of, and after.  I don't know if it did anything but I didn't have excruciating bone pain, just a little achiness the first day.  My white count stayed up the whole time.

Eileen

I keep reading that you

I keep reading that you should not get it until 24 hrs after your chemo, but they seem to be giving it right after disconnect. I am a little confused. 

• Watersprite3
    Watersprite3 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I read that also, but only

I read that also, but only after I had started getting it.  I remember asking the nurse if I needed it the second time I had because my white count had gone up, and she told me that I would be getting it each time because if I didn't my white count could go down.  I don't blame you for being confused - this would be something that I would recommend discussing with the oncologist.

• Ruthmomto4
    Options

I read that also, but only

I read that also, but only after I had started getting it.  I remember asking the nurse if I needed it the second time I had because my white count had gone up, and she told me that I would be getting it each time because if I didn't my white count could go down.  I don't blame you for being confused - this would be something that I would recommend discussing with the oncologist.

he will ask them when he goes

he will ask them when he goes for his appointment, he can't get it 24 hrs after because it's a Sunday and they are not there, so unless they let us give it ourselves it will have to be after disconnect. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    I had Nuepogen shots

My white count went down, and I had weeks of Nuepogen shots, either in the stomach or arms. 

I did have some side effects, mostly bone pain (did you know they call it boney pain? I thought it was just the way my Indian Oncologist pronounced it).  I did get a terribly upset stomach with one of them, but I'm not unconvinced that the (different) nurse gave me a double dose, as she shot me twice, whereas my regular nurse only shot me once. 

It did the trick, and my white count went up, thus I was able to start the chemo treatment again. 

It sounds like he is going to get the shots no matter what, and not wait for the WBC to drop. I don't know what to say about that. Maybe someone else has had this, but not me. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2017 #7
    Options
    Mine was Neupogen

It's basically the same drug but mine was injected for 5 days and the other is only one, I believe.  My husband gave me the shots.  I'm sorry to say but hated it.  It hurt every part of my body and they never told me it would.  Just be aware that it can affect the joints, head and hips.  It's worth it though because it helped my white blood count go up to receive chemo.  Sometimes you need something to help you get through treatment and this might be what it it takes.  Good luck to your husband.  Please let him know of the side effects in advance though because they never did me.  Thanks for being such a good caregiver and finding out about this before he is subject to it.

Hugs to you both!  Kim

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    And my columns never dropped

So I never needed it.  Btw, there is lots of good evidence that the clarity (loratadine) helps prevent bone passion from the drug. 

Ask his Dr.  Not everyone needs neulasta.  I never had any issues with my counts and never needed either neulasta or neupogen 

• Phoenix_66
    Phoenix_66 Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2017 #9
    Options
    Neulasta

I had neulasta in 2006 and 2013 during chemo becuase my white blood count was dropping too low.  The onc told me that it was necessary to keep my count up so that I could continue treatments.  They gave me mine at the end of each treatment also and I did not have any bad side effects except a little aching in my arm where they gave me the shot.  It did allow me to stay on schedule with treatments.

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2017 #10
    Options
    Neulasta

i get the neulasta shot delivered to my house, that way my wife can give me the shot, and it avoids a trip to the hospital.  It's to keep your WBC up so you don't miss a treatment. 

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Neupogen

i had 3 days of  injections post chemo and still my every two week chemo got posted by a week.  Can’t help but wonder how long it would have taken my counts to rebound without the injections  

I gave myself the injections in my abdomen. Very easy and pretty painless.  

I also had bone pain and fatigue that I blame on these injections.  Used Tylenol or the pain, it worked well. 

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    White blood cell shot

I had my 2nd chemo cancelled due to low white blood cell levels.  Started on neupogen (5 days of shots) - started 24 hrs after 5Fu bottle emptied.  My levels have been very low at times and I continue to need the shots.  I get weird spinal and sternum bone pain - have to take tylenol or ibuprofin.  Trying to change from the tylenol, as tylenol affects your liver, and I have CRC with multiple liver lesions.  Pain meds do help, and the WBC shots have let me be okay to have my chemo treatments.  I have taken some one-extra breaks, and this really helps my counts.  I have also had three blood transfusions due to low hemoglobin.  

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited September 2017 #13
    Options
    WBC shots

Hello - Forgot to mention - My white and red blood cells are checked prior to every chemo to see if my immune system would be overly compromised by my treatment.  I do need to have the WBC shots every time.  If I have an extra week break, I can get by with 3 days of shots (believe they are around 480 mg), as I have more time away from the chemo to build the WBC's up.  I have been told that there is nothing you can do (food, diet, exercise, etc) to build up the WBC's other than "time" helping.