I.V. (Vitamin C) Therapy

Options

It seems most of the people on this board are following conventional protocol with little variation.  I have researched adjuvent chemo for rectal cancer, and it seems to be inconclusive.  I was considering heavy I.V. therapy only after surgery; however the M.D. overseeing this has recommended I take Xeloda twice a week along with the I.V. treatments.  I will discuss with my Oncologist on Friday.  Just wondering if anyone else has tried VC therapy at any time during treatment?  It's expensive.  I'll be borrowing against my 401k to afford this and the Xeloda copay.

--Beth

Comments

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    Options
    We've used IV vitamin C from

My wife has used IV vitamin C with oral chemo from near the start, since right after surgery, mostly at home. I've posted several summaries, along with my CSN page.  For the 1st 6 weeks after surgery, we used IV vitamin C with supplements, no chemo yet - it was not enough. Neither was chemo.  Although we had killed some important part of the cancer mets with cimetidine, IV C and supplements, part removed by surgery, part of the mets need chemo, IV vitamin C and other extra drugs and supplements. 

Our way to assess IV vitamin C performance is with blood markers, especially CA199, LDH, CEA, AFP, ESR, hsCRP and HgbA1C, the last three mostly for constantcy or noise removal.  CA199 and AFP are fairly commonly expressed in CRC but not in favor with ASCO.

IV vitamin C cost can be all over the map.  It doesn't have to be expensive but lower cost usually requires extra effort.  Injected quantity is important to us, and above average IV nursing skill is important to maintain your veins. 

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    Options
    Thank you for the great

Thank you for the great information.  They will be doing labs (blood, urine, saliva) next week.  Hopefully to assess what you have listed on a regular basis.  I am taking other supp's as well.  Am very hopeful with this route.  I look forward to reading about your wife's experience.  Best wishes to her.  Thanks.

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options

Thank you for the great

Thank you for the great information.  They will be doing labs (blood, urine, saliva) next week.  Hopefully to assess what you have listed on a regular basis.  I am taking other supp's as well.  Am very hopeful with this route.  I look forward to reading about your wife's experience.  Best wishes to her.  Thanks.

labs

They will be doing labs (blood, urine, saliva) next week. Hopefully...

You should actively check your previous bloodwork. CA199 and AFP are other GI cancers marker almost surely not already there. Some of the other panels could already be there if they use a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) that doctors "retail" to Medicare for about $15 instead of one of the lesser basic chem panels that retail for about $8.  Many short panels, like liver and kidney panels, "retail" (e.g. lab may charge dr only half of "retail price") to Medicare for $4-17, markers somewhat higher ($20-$30) but will try to overcharge us $50-$80 each.

It's important to get good prices for adequate data and then track anomalies or suspicious values.

Patients have to negiotiate for covered "extras" or pay cash. They probably will not pay on CA199 or AFP for a CRC diagnosis but a cooperative dr might do a liver, kidney, CMP.  I know one person who got CA199 paid because CEA didn't work and the cancer did stain for CA19-9. The insurer can be an important factor when they object to something and the dr listens to them instead of us.   Diligent price shopping and cost cutting was important to us from the beginning, and success with generics is definitely one of the biggest factors.

• BRHMichigan
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    tanstaafl said:

labs

They will be doing labs (blood, urine, saliva) next week. Hopefully...

You should actively check your previous bloodwork. CA199 and AFP are other GI cancers marker almost surely not already there. Some of the other panels could already be there if they use a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) that doctors "retail" to Medicare for about $15 instead of one of the lesser basic chem panels that retail for about $8.  Many short panels, like liver and kidney panels, "retail" (e.g. lab may charge dr only half of "retail price") to Medicare for $4-17, markers somewhat higher ($20-$30) but will try to overcharge us $50-$80 each.

It's important to get good prices for adequate data and then track anomalies or suspicious values.

Patients have to negiotiate for covered "extras" or pay cash. They probably will not pay on CA199 or AFP for a CRC diagnosis but a cooperative dr might do a liver, kidney, CMP.  I know one person who got CA199 paid because CEA didn't work and the cancer did stain for CA19-9. The insurer can be an important factor when they object to something and the dr listens to them instead of us.   Diligent price shopping and cost cutting was important to us from the beginning, and success with generics is definitely one of the biggest factors.

You have an amazing knowledge

You have an amazing knowledge of this.  Thank you for your input. I do have insurance and will investigate further.  It all getsa bit overwhelming for me.

The cimetidine and I.V. therapies seem to have been great for your wife.  Appreciate youvsgaring your story.

• momma27
    momma27 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    chemo after surgery

Don't do it.

My son had colorectal surgery, them chemo "just in case".  A couple of months later lung cancer popped up.

He had surgery, no chemo.

Now is cancer free.

He feels that the chemo left him open to new cancer.

Additionally  he is cancer free but can hardly walk.

The chemo permanently damaged his muscles and tendons.

He never took any drugs except for cancer drugs.  No high blood pressure, no cholesteral, no vitamins.

Chemo is the killer......but big pharma needs to make money.

• BRHMichigan
    Options
    momma27 said:

chemo after surgery

Don't do it.

My son had colorectal surgery, them chemo "just in case".  A couple of months later lung cancer popped up.

He had surgery, no chemo.

Now is cancer free.

He feels that the chemo left him open to new cancer.

Additionally  he is cancer free but can hardly walk.

The chemo permanently damaged his muscles and tendons.

He never took any drugs except for cancer drugs.  No high blood pressure, no cholesteral, no vitamins.

Chemo is the killer......but big pharma needs to make money.

Brave

Dear Momma,  I never in a million years thought I would allow chemo and an actual port be implanted into my body.  As of now, I am leaning toward trying the 5FU chemo, and will quit if the side effects become too unbearable 

I am so thrilled to hear your son is a survivor; but that is tragic about what chemo did to him.  I am very excited about the alternative treatments with the Vitamin infusions, diet, oxygen, and supplements.  I will stop chemo and continue all else if needed.