New to site Need Info scheduled for Opdivo

I have stage 4 head and neck cancer then the tell me I also have prostate cancer. I now just had lung biopsy, came back positive right lung. Now they want me to start Opdivo, dont like what I've read about it. Any info would be appreciated. I have been threw chemo and then radiation w/chemo now this WOW... Info please.

Comments

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Sent you a private message...

...but I'll copy it here too in case it can help ease anyone else's mind. 

Opdivo is way, way less scary than chemo, at least it was for me. The side effects are almost always a lot more mild. Phrannie, who is on the sister drug Keytruda, said the side effects were so mild she worried it wasn't actually doing anything! The only thing scary about Opdivo is that the side effects are less predictable, and can happen any time. Talk to your doctor about what to watch for, just like you would with chemo. 

I'm on a combination trial, where side effects are a lot more likely. I've also had side effects with unusual frequency, including ones that land me in the ER and then a couple days in the hospital around once every 3-4 months. But none of those have been at all life threatening--not even close. Any time I don't feel quite right, I email or call my oncologist and she walks through the tests we need to understand if it's related to the Opdivo. That's why I end up in the hospital--we're trying to figure out whether it's related and ensure there's nothing more serious going on. Your oncologist should be prepared to do the same--just make sure the lines of communication are open, and don't hesitate to ping your doctor when you have questions or concerns. The instances where there's a life-threatening side effect that happens so quickly it can't be treated are very, very rare.

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    Good seeing you Laralyn

Glad to hear the trial is going well for you. Best wishes for continued success in the trial. Don