Home after robotic surgery at MSK- NOW THE DREADED WAIT

Options

I went in for my surgery this past friday. The surgery was done robotically at MSK in NYC. The hospital & all it's workers are AMAZING! I went home Saturday feeling very sore. Sunday I felt a bit better- my husband and I went for a walk around the block & went out for brunch. Well, here it is Monday morning - hubby at work & I am alone at home nervous & sooooooo scared. Even though my endo-biopsy showed grade 1 cancer, my surgeon reported to my family in the waiting room (I wish I was there to hear it-lol) that they removed the tumor & the surgery went well. OK, I thought the cancer I had was just in the lining & now I find out there was a tumor-UGH!! I am confused. How could it be grade 1 & there still be a tumor?  Is there a chance the tumor is benign. I know my mom suffered from fibroids when she was about my age (60). I am not gonna make this 2 week wait for my post- op visit

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Hi there Shoregal,

Hi there Shoregal,

First of all, very impressive that you walked around the block so quickly. You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Now, I'm not a doctor but I'll tell you about my tumor... I was stage 1 but unfortunately had grade 3 cancer.  And, I had a polyp with cancer and a very small tumor in the uterine lining. I believe you can have a tumor and still be stage 1 / grade 1.  The grade of your cancer is the type of cancer you have. Grade 1 meaning the least aggressive and the one you "want" if you have to deal with this cancer. So, you are still looking the same as you did prior to surgery. What you hope to hear in the pathology report is if your cancer stayed contained or spread. My hope for you is that it stayed put!

You can do this. I know it is scary. If you start feeling too anxious, ask the doctor for a mild anti-anxiety med like Lorazapam. It will help you cope.

Come back and let us know how you are doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• shoregal
    shoregal Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2017 #3
    Options
    Hi Cindi-

Thanks for reaching out to me. UGH- the waiting! I lecture my kids about not  going up on the internet & "over researching"  things, and here I am doing it! So many websites offering info-need to find a good book to keep my mind occupied. 

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes, Shoregal you need a good book

That is a really good idea- keep your mind busy with other things- the waiting is just beginning and it is really almost the hardest part. 

It's great that you are already out walking!!!  Do more of that.  Love up those kids and is that a grand baby in the picture?  Take a short trip- plan something FUN and exciting to look forward to.... More than anything start taking stock of your life and realize that THIS is the day that any of us has to live- LIVE YOUR LIFE don't put it on hold for someday or after this or whatever your brain is telling you- grab hold and make each day count.  That is the very best advice I can give you- time will pass, good and bad, like the old soap says- these are the days of our lives right?!  If anyone would have told me that I could get to that thinking back on April 4th 2016 when I was diagnosed I would have thought... well I am living my life, but the truth is I was just busy, I wasn't taking the time for the important things in my life and I wasn't grateful for the life I had, not really, but now because cancer came and I looked for the blessing, I found the real lesson is to really LIVE each day, no matter what that day brings, and to be thankful for it <3 (((HUGS)))

• dgrdalton
    dgrdalton Member Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above!

Agree with all of the above! If you do happen to research, pick National Cancer Institute, American Cancer Society, etc. and check the article date before reading. Newer articles give a much brighter outlook. Stay as busy as possible and the time passes. Hoping and praying for good results for you!

Donna

• shoregal
    Options
    Nellasing said:

Yes, Shoregal you need a good book

That is a really good idea- keep your mind busy with other things- the waiting is just beginning and it is really almost the hardest part. 

It's great that you are already out walking!!!  Do more of that.  Love up those kids and is that a grand baby in the picture?  Take a short trip- plan something FUN and exciting to look forward to.... More than anything start taking stock of your life and realize that THIS is the day that any of us has to live- LIVE YOUR LIFE don't put it on hold for someday or after this or whatever your brain is telling you- grab hold and make each day count.  That is the very best advice I can give you- time will pass, good and bad, like the old soap says- these are the days of our lives right?!  If anyone would have told me that I could get to that thinking back on April 4th 2016 when I was diagnosed I would have thought... well I am living my life, but the truth is I was just busy, I wasn't taking the time for the important things in my life and I wasn't grateful for the life I had, not really, but now because cancer came and I looked for the blessing, I found the real lesson is to really LIVE each day, no matter what that day brings, and to be thankful for it <3 (((HUGS)))

Hi Nellasing & thank-you

Yes, I have 5 beautiful grandchildren, the oldest just turned 4. Your words really moved me- thank-you sooooo much!  

• shoregal
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Donna

I truly appreciate your advice & good wishes- thanks!

• hopeful56
    hopeful56 Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2017 #8
    Options
    Welcome to the site.  This is

Welcome to the site.  This is my 5th week post op after robotic surgery.  I had mine done at The James in Columbus, OH.  I am from NY, MSK is well known.

I was staged 1A with SC microscopic.  Tomorrow I start my lst chemo.  Dr suggests 3 to 4 treatments.

Wish you the best with recovery, don't try to do too much. Ask questions so you feel confident.

You have joined a wonderful support group.  The ladies are all so wonderful and supportive.

My best to your recovery,

Sandra

• shoregal
    edited September 2017 #9
    Options
    Hi Sandra-

Yes, all the ladies seem wonderful!! Good luck tomorrow.

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Call your dr's office

I go to MSK also (tho the colorectal group) and find that whenever I have a question, I call or email my dr, and get a quick response.  Your dr's nurse might be able to answer some questions quickly so that you don't have to wait for an explanation. 

Breathe - you'll get through these next few weeks.  So far, I've gotten through the next 10 years!  (And I'll be back at MSK in November for my scans/appts.)

• shoregal
    Options
    abrub said:

Call your dr's office

I go to MSK also (tho the colorectal group) and find that whenever I have a question, I call or email my dr, and get a quick response.  Your dr's nurse might be able to answer some questions quickly so that you don't have to wait for an explanation. 

Breathe - you'll get through these next few weeks.  So far, I've gotten through the next 10 years!  (And I'll be back at MSK in November for my scans/appts.)

Hi Abrub

Thanks for the advice. I will try calling office- closed yesterday for some reason. I am a bit shocked that the office didn't call me to find out how I was doing.  However, no complaints about MSK-what an AMAZING place!!!!!!! BTW, love your pic. I am a bird lover.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Shoregal:

Shoregal:

I thought I posted something to you earlier but I don't see it.  Anyway, glad that your procedure went well and you were up and walking!   The waiting is the worse!  Hang in there!

My best to you,

Kathy

• shoregal
    edited September 2017 #13
    Options
    Hi Kaleena

UGH- the waiting. I want to de-stress over a glass of wine, but don"t know if I am allowed after surgery. Surgeon informed my kids that everything went great, so I keep asking them silly questions like "did she appear happy", "do you think she was telling the truth". My poor kids!! Well, a week to go for my post-op. Thanks for your support.

• EPH56
    EPH56 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Stage 1A-Grade 3

So glad to hear you were up and moving so quickly. I also had surgery (full hysterectomy) on Sept 8th. Pathology came back Stage 1A (already knew it was serous grade 3 (the most aggressive form) from the endometrial biopsy). I start chemo next week. My tumor was up to 50% of my lining. Weird how 1% more would have put me in a different class. It's all very sureal.  I'm anxious to hear more about how you are doing.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    EPH56 - Just wanted to say

EPH56 - Just wanted to say welcome to our board and let you know chemo is not as bad as we fear it will be. You will get into a routine and figure out your "bad" days versus your good days.  If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you read the thread titled 'Ladies Going Through Chemo' on this board. It will give you loads of information from several of us that went through chemo in 2015/2016.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• bluesmama
    bluesmama Member Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The waiting game

I'm also a patient at MSKCC. Just got my scan and bloodwork 6 months post last chemo (recurrence). A tumor can be grade 1. I was diagnoised Stage 1A, Grade 1 three years ago. The grade of the tumor is an indication as to whether it's aggressive or not. 

They're a great hospital and your care team are there for you. I was in awe when I woke up on the VIP floor in what felt like a hotel suite.

Even if their office is closed, don't hesitate to leave a message and ask for the doctor on-call to call you back. After my second surgery, the staples started falling off and my wound opened up again. I bugged them constantly about what I thought was a wound that was never going to heal. I actually found their after-hours services awesome. And don't forget, now that you're a patient, you're entitled to use their emergency room at their main campus in Manhattan. It's only for their patients. I ended up there once and was seen right away even though there was a hospital less than a mile away from me in Brooklyn. 

Waiting is part of the life after diagnosis, I'm afraid. You'll get used to it and you've got a great community here to hold you through it. Hopefully, you'll be able to move on with your life very soon. Good luck.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Bluesmama, Great to see you

Bluesmama, Great to see you again. Just wondering how you are doing these days?

Love and Hugs,

Cindi