Half way scan anxiety

Hi Everyone,

im new to this and this is my first post. I've read many post which have given me hope and motivation. My mother (aged79) was diagnosed with bowel cancer, she has had major surgery and 6 round of folfox. It's been difficult but overall her FBC's have been good. We are now faced with the upcoming scan and are worried. Any advice?? Cathy

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    My advice

Don't worry!  

Oh, I know, better said than done. 

My Oncologist would not scan or do blood work during treatment, as he said it was unreliable, due to several factors; one being inflamation caused by surgery and treatment.  

It is frustrating that each Oncologist has different ideas. I wish they would all treat on one standard, but that would be silly, I guess. 

Think happy thoughts! Think positive, and if the scan results are less than positive, remember, your mum is still only half way through treatment.

Welcome to the forum. Keep visiting, as we're full of (it) wonderful information and loads of support. 

Tru

• CathC
    CathC Member Posts: 17
    Trubrit said:

My advice

Don't worry!  

Oh, I know, better said than done. 

My Oncologist would not scan or do blood work during treatment, as he said it was unreliable, due to several factors; one being inflamation caused by surgery and treatment.  

It is frustrating that each Oncologist has different ideas. I wish they would all treat on one standard, but that would be silly, I guess. 

Think happy thoughts! Think positive, and if the scan results are less than positive, remember, your mum is still only half way through treatment.

Welcome to the forum. Keep visiting, as we're full of (it) wonderful information and loads of support. 

Tru

Thank you Tru, you are right,

Thank you Tru, you are right, we will stay positive. The forum is a great comfort. 

• shinnyr
    shinnyr Member Posts: 1
    My Mom just had her halfway

My Mom just had her halfway scan (slightly earlier than expected due to a hospital stay, diarrhoea / neutropenia and drop in hemoglobin). It was an extremely tense day waiting for the results. They were all clear and she is all set to begin her 6th round of chemo. She's 69 and it's been a tough enough road. She flew through the first 4 and then her neutrophils plummeted at the 5th one causing it be delayed and a 20% reduction. 

How did your Mom's scan go?

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Scans

Sorry didn't see this post earlier but hoping that your mom's scans came out good.  It's always so trying getting the scan and waiting for results.  I'm a terrible worrier so any test that I've got coming up makes me terribly nervous.  Hope things are good.  Haven't heard of the scan results.  If you could keep us updated that would be great.  Thinking about you both.

Kim

• CathC
    edited October 2017 #6

Scans

Sorry didn't see this post earlier but hoping that your mom's scans came out good.  It's always so trying getting the scan and waiting for results.  I'm a terrible worrier so any test that I've got coming up makes me terribly nervous.  Hope things are good.  Haven't heard of the scan results.  If you could keep us updated that would be great.  Thinking about you both.

Kim

Thank you all so much. We had

Thank you all so much. We had the scan results yesterday. The tumour has shrunk by 70% so the onc was really pleased and  has decided to change from folfox to 5fu and Avastin. He tumour is surrounded by blood vessels. We really couldn't have asked for a better result. The relief is unbelievable. I still quite believe it. Many thanks for your support. Cathy xx

• CathC
    shinnyr said:

My Mom just had her halfway

My Mom just had her halfway scan (slightly earlier than expected due to a hospital stay, diarrhoea / neutropenia and drop in hemoglobin). It was an extremely tense day waiting for the results. They were all clear and she is all set to begin her 6th round of chemo. She's 69 and it's been a tough enough road. She flew through the first 4 and then her neutrophils plummeted at the 5th one causing it be delayed and a 20% reduction. 

How did your Mom's scan go?

I'm delighted your Mams scan

I'm delighted your Mams scan was clear. It's such a tough road but there are lovely times too. My Mam has had issues with low haemoglobin levels and once her neutrophis started to drop I gave her a herbal supplement called graviola that seemed to bring them back up. I've been sick twice (tummy bug and strep throat) and she never got sick at all. Her scan was very good, a reduction of 70%. We were told that she won't be cancer free because of where it is but is can be contained so that was unbelievable news to hear. I'm still letting that sink in. Wishing you and your Mam well x Cathy 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    CathC said:

Thank you all so much. We had

Thank you all so much. We had the scan results yesterday. The tumour has shrunk by 70% so the onc was really pleased and  has decided to change from folfox to 5fu and Avastin. He tumour is surrounded by blood vessels. We really couldn't have asked for a better result. The relief is unbelievable. I still quite believe it. Many thanks for your support. Cathy xx

70% - Woo Hoo!

That is great news! Thats a whole heap of shrinkage. I bet your over the moon. 

Keep up the good work. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wonderful

That is wonderful news.  So glad that it has shrunk by that much.  With it shrinking that much it shows that the treatments are definitely working. Yipppppeeeeee. Thanks for sharing the good news.  Please keep us updated as it gives a lot on the board much encouragement.

Kim