Polyposis??

Filthy
Filthy Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi, New to this, and I'll keep it brief. I am a 54-year-old white male. When I was 25 years old living in Australia and I had some surgery and they found polyps in my colon. I later had a colonoscopy and over 100 hyperplastic polyps were removed all benign. I then had some more removed over the next year. My case was mentioned at the Gastroenterologist convention or similar in Melbourne and the outcome was monitor as opposed to removing the colon and getting a colostomy bag. I was having them every 3 months, then 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years and last 5 years between colonoscopies. I was all clear until the last one. They are back! I have had 15 removed, one in the anus and 14 from the colon. They are presently off for pathology, they range in size from 5-10mm with two being cut out and the rest removed by "the loop". I see the post report says mix of Adenomatous and Hyperplastic. If they are OK I have been told I will be back on the three year check.  Have others experienced a similar story? 

Comments

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Filthy

My colon cancer stemmed from a polyp and in the 20 years since I have had around 13 colonoscopies. Polyps have been found during at least half of my scopes. I have had 2mm polyps with mild to moderate displaysia, My last scope was done in April this year . It was supposed to be done in november the previous year at three years. My latest GI assured me that nothing would be found as I had been well monitored. I told him to take extra care as i suspected I had problems. When I woke up it was to pictures of four polyps between four and eleven mmm. Fortunately they were all tubular adenomas. None were cancerous but all had some degree of displaysia. I am on two yearly scopes from now on. None of my GI's have suggested testing me for famiiar polyposis.  I would be asking for two yearly scopes as you are in the high risk catergory, cheers Ron.