MMRT new diagnosis. What can I expect when I see the oncologist this week?

MMRT. What can I expect from the oncologist when I see him this week?

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    Dottie

Are you seeing a gyn oncologist? (The one that will do your surgery?) If yes, you will most likely get a pelvic exam. And, they will most likely schedule your pre-op surgery stuff as well as your actual surgery date. I'm just guessing since I don't know which type of oncologist you will be seeing. I had a local general oncologist and then went to see my gyn oncologist so what I have described is my best guess at who you will be seeing.

They will probably talk to you about your pathology report from your biopsy and discuss the type of cancer you have and what you may need to do for treatment. A lot depends on the grade of your cancer and the stage once you have your surgery. In most cases, if you have a grade 1 cancer and if it is stage 1 all you will need is surgery. That is the best news you can receive. All of this is guesswork at this stage though.

Please come back and let us know what you find out.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• DottieDean
    DottieDean Member Posts: 36

Dottie

Are you seeing a gyn oncologist? (The one that will do your surgery?) If yes, you will most likely get a pelvic exam. And, they will most likely schedule your pre-op surgery stuff as well as your actual surgery date. I'm just guessing since I don't know which type of oncologist you will be seeing. I had a local general oncologist and then went to see my gyn oncologist so what I have described is my best guess at who you will be seeing.

They will probably talk to you about your pathology report from your biopsy and discuss the type of cancer you have and what you may need to do for treatment. A lot depends on the grade of your cancer and the stage once you have your surgery. In most cases, if you have a grade 1 cancer and if it is stage 1 all you will need is surgery. That is the best news you can receive. All of this is guesswork at this stage though.

Please come back and let us know what you find out.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Yes, it's a gyn/oncologist.

Yes, it's a gyn/oncologist.  My regular OB doesn't know how to deal with this diagnosis.  My understanding from what I have read is that after surgery, the staging is done and that determines what chemo/radiation may be needed after that.  I am really struggling with this as I have always been healthy and this was totally out of the blue - I was in California on a business trip and began bleeding.  Since I am post menopausel  we suspected endometrial CA, but were shocked to get this diagnosis.  I am emotionally a wreck and am frightened.  Guess this is normal.  Even though I'm a nurse, I've always stayed clear of doctors.  No more of that for a while, I guess.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    edited September 2017 #4
    Your diagnosis

Hello Dotti:

Sorry that you need to come to this site, but the ladies here are very comforting and caring.   I was diagnosed with (according to my records) mullerian/endometriod or endometrial adenocarcinoma but treating it as ovarian.   Stage 3a Grade 2 - it was found in my uterux, cervix and left ovary.   They couldn't determine where or what the primary was and still haven't.   However, that was 12 years ago this month when I was 45 years old.   It is good that you have been healthy, it should make recovery quicker.   Please use this site to vent or ask questions.   Stay away from the internet as the stuff there is pretty old and outdated.  There are sites listed within these posts that are helpful and current.

Are they going to remove your appendix and omentum too with your surgery?   My doctor did because he indicated those are areas for recurrences, although he was old school.

My best to you on your upcoming tests and surgery.

Kathy

• DottieDean
    DottieDean Member Posts: 36
    Kaleena said:

Your diagnosis

Hello Dotti:

Sorry that you need to come to this site, but the ladies here are very comforting and caring.   I was diagnosed with (according to my records) mullerian/endometriod or endometrial adenocarcinoma but treating it as ovarian.   Stage 3a Grade 2 - it was found in my uterux, cervix and left ovary.   They couldn't determine where or what the primary was and still haven't.   However, that was 12 years ago this month when I was 45 years old.   It is good that you have been healthy, it should make recovery quicker.   Please use this site to vent or ask questions.   Stay away from the internet as the stuff there is pretty old and outdated.  There are sites listed within these posts that are helpful and current.

Are they going to remove your appendix and omentum too with your surgery?   My doctor did because he indicated those are areas for recurrences, although he was old school.

My best to you on your upcoming tests and surgery.

Kathy

I won't know till Tuesday but

I won't know till Tuesday but am hoping to get the surgery ASAP.  My appendix is already gone - taken out when I was a child.  I am reading more about scans and hope he doesn't want to do those before surgery since the staging needs to be done at surgery And I'm not sure how safe the scans are.

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member

I won't know till Tuesday but

I won't know till Tuesday but am hoping to get the surgery ASAP.  My appendix is already gone - taken out when I was a child.  I am reading more about scans and hope he doesn't want to do those before surgery since the staging needs to be done at surgery And I'm not sure how safe the scans are.

Scans

I had both a PET and MRI before my hysterectomy. I believe it helps the surgeon determine how far he needs to go when disecting sentinal pelvic and para-aortic lymph nodes, so prepare yourself for the possibility of needing to have one or both of them as part of your pre-op testing. I wanted my surgeon to have all the information he needed to do the surgery right, so now is not a good time to angst about having them. You can always ask your gyn-oncologist to take a conservative approach to CT testing after treatment if you end up needing it.

Good luck with your appointment Tuesday. I strongly recommend you take someone with you to be an extra set of ears and memory for you. You are going to have a lot thrown at you quickly and it can be hard to retain it all when you are under stress. Write down questions you have before you go and start requesting copies of everything that gets done to you. They come in real handy as time goes on.