Breast reconstruction

Options
Jenny71
Jenny71 Member Posts: 3

Hey all, a few years ago I had reconstruction and had an implant put in well, it busted! Thank the Lord it was just saline. I'm having my breast fixed but, no more implants. I was thinking of getting the tram flap done. It's come a long way since I first heard about 10 years ago. There is a new one called the DIEP flap surgery. If any one has had either of these surgeries done I would live to hear your input. Which is better?  How long was the recovery? Was the recovery bad and how were the results?  Thanks so much. Oh also looking if you have had the nipped reconstructed or what other options you have went with. 

Comments

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DIEP flap

Hi Jenny, I am having DIEP flap reconstruction after I am healed from radiation. It is much, much better than a tram flap because it does not use your abdominal muscles. I will also get nipple reconstruction which is a separate procedure and less complicated. Some plastic surgeons do not have the training to do DIEP flap and might try to talk you into some other kind of reconstruction. Do your research, as you are by coming to this post, and find reliable sources on the internet as well as getting opinions from women who have been through it.

A plastic surgeon who is experienced in DIEP flap is very skilled at microvasuclar surgery. The have to reconnect tiny blood vessels under a special surgical microscope. I would suggest finding a qualified DIEP flap surgeon and ask them to explain the difference between the different kinds of reconstructions.

I found a breast cancer mentor who had DIEP flap and she help me a lot. The last I checked, there were only about 150 plastic surgeons in the country who are experienced at this so do your research and shop around. Hopefully, more surgeons will have the dedication to get the microvascular training as more women advocate for themselves. I wish you the best!

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    edited September 2017 #3
    Options
    I've had the DIEP flap recon

I had this procedure after all my treatments and right masectomy. The surgery lasted for me, 8 hours. They went ahead and removed my unaffected left breast and reconstructed both. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't a walk in the park. It's considered "transplant" obviously since they're using your own muscle, tissue etc...I woke up to a very heated room and well packed around my chest and ab area. The reason is they need to make sure that the newly transplanted breast(s) maintain a good blood flow and circulation. It was uncomfortable and I was in pain mainly for the first 48 hours slowly subsiding. Of course you'll have ab pain if they take out from that area. I was there for about 6 days sent home with about 4 drains...maybe 5 (can't remember). I had the drains for about 17 days. I DO have some nerve loss on my affected breast that had the tumor so I have a small area of numbness but I've gotten used to it. Small price to pay considering.

I was 47 years old at the time and 45 when I was first diagnosed with BC. My surgeons were amazing and between 4 of them had performed thousands of procedures so I felt comfortable in their hands. Just make sure the surgeon is well seasoned in this type of surgery. I had a follow up revision on my waist/hips to even out and contour because when the swelling goes down, you can have uneven areas. Benefit from this surgery: you get a tummy tuck. I know they can also work with other parts (back/buttocks) to build breasts if you don't have enough in your ab area.

About 4-5 months after, I had nipple reconstruction which was outpatient surgery and about 3 months after that, nipple tatoos.

All in all, if given the chance, I personally would do it again. I'm amazed at how they "feel" and move likenormal breasts. Obviously, I don't have nipple sensitivity since they removed both of them but again, small price to pay.

I pray all goes well with you pink sister and you make a good decision on which course you choose. 

Blessings,

Sylvia (sea60)

• Jenny71
    Jenny71 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all

Thank you all so much for all this valuable information. I am taking it to heart. I am calling the plastic surgeon that I had first talked to and asking if she is familiar with the DIEP. If not, well buh bye!  I'll let you guys know what happens next! Again thank you so much. 

• LSH123
    LSH123 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    I had a DIEP Flap 4 years ago

I had the surgery 4 years ago (at age 48)-10 hours of surgery with PS the whole time and a breast surgeon and 2nd PS part ot the time.  Then in ICU for 3 night and hosptial one more night.  I did have reconstruction to even out the breasts a year later by choice.  Though the surgery was long and recovery 6 weeks, I was out for my son's birthday 2 weeks after surgery.  I would do the same if had to make a choice again.  I did not want to have implants that can rupture and the preparing for the implants sounded horrible.  I had more pain in the stomach area than the breasts.

Also, the breasts are soft and feel and look like real breasts.  Good luck and I would be happy to answer any questions.

• Sue Dobbs
    Sue Dobbs Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having this surgery

I am having this surgery performed at the same time as the mastectomy on October 10th. I can't seem to find anyone who has had the mastectomy and the reconstruction at the same time. Another factor for me is that I live on Maui and my surgery is to take place on Oahu. So I have to deal with flying once released from the hospital. I don't know where I'm going with this other than -- is there anyone out there who had done both surgeries together? Is there anyone out there on Maui or another neighbor island? Mahalo in advance!

Sue

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited September 2017 #7
    Options
    Sue Dobbs said:

I am having this surgery

I am having this surgery performed at the same time as the mastectomy on October 10th. I can't seem to find anyone who has had the mastectomy and the reconstruction at the same time. Another factor for me is that I live on Maui and my surgery is to take place on Oahu. So I have to deal with flying once released from the hospital. I don't know where I'm going with this other than -- is there anyone out there who had done both surgeries together? Is there anyone out there on Maui or another neighbor island? Mahalo in advance!

Sue

hello Sue

I had left breast mastectomy and at same time started part 1 of reconstruction where the plastic surgeon placed the breast expander in the breast during the mastectomy. I got the fills done couple weeks after the surgery to expand the area and prepare for implant later after radiation and area heals for all that. still have expander and will visit plastic surgeon in Nov to discuss scheduling the implant. (EXPANDER IS UNCOMFORTABLE ALWAYS FEEL LIKE SOMETHING IS UNDER YOUR ARM)

best of luck and prayers to you for your surgery and recovery!

BEEPOSITIVE

• 2015Cleo
    2015Cleo Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017 #8
    Options
    DIEP flap

I had a DIEP flap reconstruction on my right breast in 2015.  Recovery is costly up front, because of the abdominal incision.  I experienced very delayed skin healing on my breast.  The native skin basically gave up and died, and I was in bandages for 5 months as it healed, with a couple of open wounds on my chest.  It was harrowing and extraordinary to see my skin healing from the inside out.  This isn't common, but does happen.  I have a lot more scarring as a result.  Despite this, I think DIEP flap is a solid procedure and I think my belly scar is FIERCE, in a good way.  I'm 43, by the way.

• 2015Cleo
    2015Cleo Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Sue Dobbs said:

I am having this surgery

Sue

Hi Sue!  I had the mastectomy

Hi Sue!  I had the mastectomy and DIEP flap reconstruction at the same time (on my right breast).  I felt like once the mastectomy was done, I would probably not want to go into surgery again (although I've gotten some lifting done on the left breast since then), and it appealed to me to get them both taken care of.  I have mixed feelings about that choice now.  It would also have been interesting to live with one breast for a while and see how it felt.  But I was very frightened of waking up and seeing a flat place where there had been a breast before.  I'm happy to talk more about this.

• csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    DIEP Flap

I had a DIEP Flap reconstruction in 2011.  I had a skin sparring radical mastectomy of the left breast and the reconstruction immediately after.  Surgery was extremely long. I believe between 10 and 12 hours. I decided to have the reconstruction as I did not want to wake up with nothing where my breast once was. I woke up in the hospital in a very warm room and felt like I couldn't move since my abdomen was also a surgical sight.  A lot of nurses in and out monitoring if the veins are responding and that you are not rejecting yourself.  I came home with drains (that reminded me of children's Huggy bottles) hanging from my breast and abdomen.  My recovery was about 11 weeks.  It could have been compounded because I had the mastectomy at the same time.

I have been told by various medical people that the work done was very good.  My "build-a-boob" is about the same size as my right breast.  I can wear a bra and even low cut clothese if I desire to do so.  However, the build-a-boob is very scarred on the side and seems to be heavier than my natural breast.  I opted not to go back for more surgery and have a nipple built.  I just couldn't imagine more surgery and did not want a permanently erect nipple or a tattoo.   In addition to the breast rebuild I did get a tummy tuck at the expense of a hip to hip scar that has formed love handles at each end.  At some point I may decide to have the handles fixed as there are times that I can see the bulges under my clothes.  However, decent shapewear helps. I do not regret having the reconstruction.  Each person has to make that decision for themselves. I was 57 when I had the surgery.  Knowing what I know now, would I make the same decision again? Yes.