My journey began 12 years ago

Kaleena
Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

Well, on September 13, 2005, at age 45, I went in for what I was told a "Routine Hysterectomy", and now here I am (gratefully) twelvie years later after being diagnosed with Stage 3a Grade 2 Edometrial Adenocarcinoma way back then.   What a roller coaster!

I could rant on about all the issues I have had throughout these years and currently, but I am not.  I am happy.  Happy to see my sons graduate from high school, happy to see my sons graduate from college (1 more to go - May - yeah!), I went to Italy this year for the first time, and all the previous fantastic trips since being diagnosed.   I've met so many nice women on these boards.   We have laughed together, cried together, prayed for each other and discussed situations to help each other get through this.  

I really just want to say - Thank you!

Love,

Kathy

Comments

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Families

And that's why go through all that we go through after diagnosis instead of curling up and giving in to it.

One really finds out how much we matter to our loved ones when we get struck down like this. In some ways it makes this disease a blessing in disguise. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of days I don't wish I had found out some other way.  ;-)

I've always thought that I drive my family crazy being the worrier and mean mom that I am and that they'd be just fine without me if that ever happened, but going through treatment really opened my eyes to how much I am loved and still needed, foibles and all, so I keep doing what I have to do in spite of all of the anxiety and uncertainty.

It is so good to hear how you've been a part of these milestones Kathy. It's been worth it, eh?

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    Celebration

Thank you for taking the time to celebrate such a big milestone. I've only been on this board for 10 months but your contributions have been a life/sanity saver for me. Keep up the good work and let's celebrate again in 12 more years! B

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member
    Kathy,

Kathy,

It has been a bumpy road but YEAH FOR YOU!  Thank you for your friendship.

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    edited September 2017 #5
    Celebrate Everything!

When I made it through my first (very long!) year with this situation, my daughter gifted me with a plaque that hangs in my kitchen to this day.  It says:  "Until Further Notice, Celebrate Everything!"  It is four years later and it has been a long, sometimes arduous journey, but so worth it!  The ladies on this Board are amazing and so are you.  Hugs! - Helen

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Kathy 12 years!!!! YAY YOU!!!!

Being that I am grade 3a stage 3 Endometrial Adenocarcinoma I am ecstatic to celebrate 12 years with you!!! What a wonderful full life you are having.  I'm so glad you are happy.  Wishes for many many more years dancing with NED Wink (((HUGS)))

• Nellasing
    daylady said:

Celebrate Everything!

When I made it through my first (very long!) year with this situation, my daughter gifted me with a plaque that hangs in my kitchen to this day.  It says:  "Until Further Notice, Celebrate Everything!"  It is four years later and it has been a long, sometimes arduous journey, but so worth it!  The ladies on this Board are amazing and so are you.  Hugs! - Helen

Ahh Helen- 4 years

So glad you can say it is worth the journey- you have been through so much!  Thank you for sharing that great gift- we shall CELEBRATE EVERYTHING!!!  (((HUGS)))

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    We're glad you're still here

We're glad you're still here too, Kathy!  You're an inspiration to us all that there is a life after cancer.  As you said, there's a lot of "stuff" that has happened to us, but we go through it and come out on the other side better than ever (well, maybe with a few dings).  I agree, cancer changed me for the better and I am a happier, more content person because of it.

Here's to celebrating your life and many, many more years!!

Love,

Eldri

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Kathy,

Kathy,

Wow, that is a long time. So happy to be here celebrating with you.

Here's to many more years of dancing with NED!!!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited September 2017 #10

We're glad you're still here

We're glad you're still here too, Kathy!  You're an inspiration to us all that there is a life after cancer.  As you said, there's a lot of "stuff" that has happened to us, but we go through it and come out on the other side better than ever (well, maybe with a few dings).  I agree, cancer changed me for the better and I am a happier, more content person because of it.

Here's to celebrating your life and many, many more years!!

Love,

Eldri

Love the new pic, Eldri

Such a great picture. You look so happy!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    You are an inspiration, Kathy

You are an inspiration, Kathy. When I was first diagnosed, it gave me such comfort to read about long-time survivors. It truly made me know (not think) that I could be one, too. Thank you for sharing your story with us! Kim

• Nellasing
    edited September 2017 #12
    Kvdyson said:

Love the new pic, Eldri

Such a great picture. You look so happy!

I second that

Love the new pic Eldri- what a cute doggie (((HUGS)))

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Kathy

You have certainly been on quite the journey.  I hope the next years are a lot easier.  Your strength is something for all of us to admire.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    I'm late

but please accept my heartfelt best wishes for continuing to live large after 12 years. Despite  many stumbling blocks you just kept moving forward. 

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Congratulations

12 years!  Yahooie.

Suzanne

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Thank you!

Thank you! ((((Hugs)))!

Kathy

• ebellini
    ebellini Member Posts: 9
    Congratulations !!!  You have

Congratulations !!!  You have given me some hope.

• takingcontrol58
    takingcontrol58 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Congratulations!

Kathy,
    12 years is a real milestone.  It is trully amazing.  Here's to the next 12 years.

Takingcontrol58

• ebellini
    ebellini Member Posts: 9
    Congratulations.  I am happy

Congratulations.  I am happy to hear about your success.