tratement decision

Options
elaine444
elaine444 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Diagnosed with colrecatl cancer with one small lung metastacy . We live in a smalll town. The doctor here has recommended daily pill form of chemo with iv infusion every 2 weeks then radiation to colon daily for 5 weeks then surgery resection  and lower right lobe lung removal.  the second opinion at UCSF with Dr. Atraya is chemo every 2 weeks iv for 3 months then surgery to colon and radiation to right lower lobe...we are having a hard time making this decision . The first seems so aggressive the second seems less so with no lung removal but why such an extreme difference.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    It is a hard decision

especially for the uninformed; which would be about every person diagnosed with Cancer. 

If you feel like you have time, you could research the different treatment plans (although coming here is a good first step). 

I had to follow a different plan, as my tumour was blocking the colon and had to be removed first. I then had FOLFOX with 5FU every two weeks (other than the weeks it was cancelled due to low blood counts). Followed that up with six weeks of radiation and 5FU 24/7 hook up. 

I was Stage III B at the time, but had a recurrance nine months out from treatment.

I wish you all the luck in the world. 

Visit often here. We are full of useful information and support. 

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My gut reaction without

My gut reaction without knowing anything else, is how much experience can a small town doctor have versus a major university doc.? Aggressive is mostly good in this game, but experience and proximity to newest treatments trumps all...........................................Dave

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,

After all the technological and chemotherapy advances surgery is still the gold standard of the cancer treatment in most cases. However radiation treatment has come a long way: much more effective, accurate and has less side effects than before. For example for must anal cancer that's all they do alomgside chemo pills.

In my opinion since you have time during chemo get other opinions and don't stop until you are comfortable one of the doctors and treatments. I personally interviewed 4 surgeons until I found the right one for me.  It's a tough decision, but your heart will tell you what's right after gethering all the information.

All the best,

Laz

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    fishing in bigger lakes

I'd ask about more lung surgery options with less lung removal, and try to incorporate supplemental immune support at different treatment segments.   When we tackle the radiation. surgery, oncology issues, we look around on the forums for varied options and look for heavy hitters' consults, even internationally.

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My only comment is regarding the chemos

The chemo recommendations from both drs are for the same regimen.  One of the drugs in the IV chemo that the UCSF dr is recommending is also available in pill form (5FU).  Note that the solely IV form of this chemo will require a take-home pump of chemo for 48 hours, in lieu of the daily pills.  Both treatments are legit - you need to find out why each dr is recommending their specific form.  And yes, overall, I trust the larger teaching hospitals over the local ones.  However, many excellent drs prefer to practice out of smaller hospitals to avoid the controls that larger institutions exert over them.