Anyone have anal fissure?

Options
Bellen
Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member

Hi all - Has anyone had a fissure develop.  I am having extremely painful bm's - using Anusol, but very painful to use suppositories.  Have ointment as well.  My chemo cocktail causes me to go from constipation to diarrhea, and I think this is what caused such irritation and I believe I have a tear.  Going on a month now - not sure what else to try.  In the last week, faithfully having 2-3 baths, and using the ointment.  Is there anything else that helps heal a tear or fissure.  Would really appreciate any suggestions.  I will be having ongoing chemo, so I'm sure the chemo will make it harder to heal as well.  Thanks for any input.  

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Fissures and Strictures

I have both. 

For me, four years post treatment, keeping the bowel movment soft is the key. Harder said than done. And with anal stenosis, it makes it all the harder. 

And you're right, the chemo is not helping. Healing is set back when you're doing treatments. 

I know, I wasn't very helpful, but there you have it. Thats me. 

Tru

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Keep it soft

Had the same problem, I suggested miralax to my Oncologist, he agreed. Keep it soft and it will heal, it will take a couple weeks or so. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Terrible

My daugher has had them and she told me they are so painful.  Sorry you have to deal with it.  Hope it gets better soon.

Kim

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    Painful fissure

I have been dealing with this for over a month, but am faithfully doing sitz baths and using anusol plus now.  I do take mirilax a lot, unless I have everything running through me.  Hate to even have a bm - cuts like a knife.  Wish I knew of something that would help it to heal - seems like there is nothing, but time.  Worried that my chemo every two wks is going to reallyinterfere with it healing.  Thanks for your thoughts.  

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Fissure

After resection reversal I had a fissure  from bowl to site of stoma. Needed bag  for 6more weeks.  But fistula healed itself from the inside out!!!  Lucky me.   Have been NED ever since.  Hope you can have similar experience!

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I know your pain!

With the knowledge that chemo was of questionable value for me, my anal fissure served as the breaking point, and I finally quit chemo. The hours of tears, of agony after each and every bathroom run were too much for me to tolerate.

What we did:

My surgeon recommended Nupercainal cream for local pain relief.  He also prescribed a compounded cream/ointment containing Cardizem to be applied twice daily, to keep the anal sphincter a bit relaxed (not enough to cause "accidents") [Yes, that's the heart medicine.]

And yes, sitz baths galore.

Unfortunately, those measures didn't help much; I was told that full healing wouldn't happen until chemo was done.

I have since purchased a bidet seat for my toilet, so that I no longer have to wipe.  The water gently washes me, and while there is a dryer function (very slow) I tend to use very soft toilet paper to dab dry.  This has been worth its weight in gold to me.  My fissure healed long before I bought the seat, but I am convinced that not having to wipe would have made a HUGE difference in my healing/pain level.

If you are in chemo indefinitely, I highly recommend that you purchase a seat - see if your dr will write you a prescription for it so that it goes under the "Durable Medical Equipment" coverage in your insurance.  

After much research (and having a $700 seat by Brondell that failed after 2 years) I found the CleanSense 1500R (about $350) which is serving me quite well now.  (And it takes much of the pain out of colonoscopy prep as well!)

Unfortunately, I DO understand.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Alice

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Bidet

I think every CRC (and other Bowel Cancer) patients should have one. 

Like Alice, I didn't get mine until after treatment, but believe it would have been a godsend if I had, as radiation was wicked and I suffered greatly. 

I purchased a Bidet from Amazon for $26 and it has worked for three years with no problems. Its only hooked up to cold water, but thats quite refreshing. I would not be without one now. 

Oh, and I use special hand towels set aside just for my bum, to pat myself dry. No rubbing, as the tissue is so thin in that area. 

Thanks Alice. I always forget to mention my Bidet, yet it is one of the things that has helped me most in my healing. 

Tru