Anyone experienced this?

Options

Currently receiving chemo at CARTI (Arkansas) for stage 3c clear cell. Ca 125 pre chemo was 55. Then 24 after first treatment and 7.5 after second. The result after the third chemo was "<5.5". I was surprised, and disappointed, that l didn't receive a specific number as opposed to the range of less than 5.5. When I asked the lab they said they consider anything <5.5 to be insignificant. Has anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    Options
    CA-125

Hi Betty,

There are different scales on which the CA-125 is measured.  Apparently, the one that your doctor is using only goes as low as 5.5  First, It's great news that your is dropping as it is with each chemo.  I understand your frustration about the values less that what this scale shows.  There are other scales that go lower, but may not directly corrleation to the scale you currenlty use.  You could research local labs and ask what scales their tests use and pay for one yourself.  Or you could check with your primary care doctor to see if the scale their lab uses has a more comprehensive scale and see if he or she will order one.  Just remember, a 5 on the scale you are using may not be the same as a five on another scale. 

• Betty999
    Betty999 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Good advice. Thanks 

Good advice. Thanks