Mucous 3 years on

Options
jackflash22
jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member

has anyone suffered with mucous and cough three years after treatment. I'm so used to coughing and mucous it's become routine and I think nothing of it. That's, I did, until a ct scan showed a shadow on the top of my lung. I went for a bowel scan but they did chest abdomen and bowel. I had bowel cancer two years ago, the scan on the bowel was clear but my lung showed a shadow. I have to have another scan and blood test to see if it still shows or if it was a fluke. Now I'm worried about the cough and mucous. I thought it was side effects of BOT radiotherapy....4 yrs on...I'm finding it hard to put on weight. Since January this year I've lost 6 kilos.  I'm hanging on to the hope the shadow doesn't appear on the second scan. I had BOT squamous cell cancer in 2013 that's been clear for 4 years. I had a different cancer in my small intestine ...neuroendocrine.. that was cured with surgery. I had bcc on my eyelid that was removed by surgery, now please don't let it be lung cancer .....

Comments

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Shadow

I'm in a similar situation.  But the spot in my lung, they believe, is from aspirations.  This could explain the caughing as your body is trying to keep the mucous/liquids/food out of your lungs.  And the spot could actually be, as they have told me, scar tissue from when I did aspirate and the wrong stuff got in.  Don't read anything into it, until you know for sure.  I've had 3 chest scans over the past 2 years and unti they tell me differently, I'm believing them.

• VioletandDad
    VioletandDad Member Posts: 6
    Options
    My dad is almost 2 years out

My dad is almost 2 years out of epiglottis stage 2 C. Surgery then 60gy radiation. Since radiation, he has thick, and i mean very thick mucus and he tries to cough it up all the time. It just doesnt come up, had chest xrays twice this year, last time in May.  Aspired many times due to the missing epiglottis.  The docs say that the mucus is dead cells as wll as the C basically. Keep ypu in my prayers.

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2017 #4
    Options
    Foamy white saliva when eating or drinking

Finished 35 rad treatments on 6-8-16.  Had swallowing issues but got to liquids and soft foods.   Had a radical left neck dissection on 6-8-17.   Ended up with a feeding tube again.  I have swallowing issues (epiglottis not working well)  AND I get LOTS of foamy white saliva when I try to eat or drink anything.  This all started right after the neck dissection.  

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    SASH said:

Shadow

I'm in a similar situation.  But the spot in my lung, they believe, is from aspirations.  This could explain the caughing as your body is trying to keep the mucous/liquids/food out of your lungs.  And the spot could actually be, as they have told me, scar tissue from when I did aspirate and the wrong stuff got in.  Don't read anything into it, until you know for sure.  I've had 3 chest scans over the past 2 years and unti they tell me differently, I'm believing them.

Not so worried

im not worrying so much after reading your experience, I too breathe in liquid quite often. I can feel it go the wrong way. I don't feel there's anything wrong with my lungs just the coughing up mucus. I walk my dog miles every day no problems. I do my  housework and gardening with no problem. I've had two serious bouts of hospital pneumonia. I wondered if it left some scarring. My scan showed a small shadow high up in my lung. The reason I'm having a second scan is to check if it still shows the same shadow or if it was a shadow of another organ. Thank you for answering all of you.