Looking for input regarding second surgery

Options

I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with stage 3c colon cancer in January of this year.  I had NO symptoms.  It all started when I had to go to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain which the ER thought was an appendicitis.  When the surgeon went in he found a tumor in my cecum right by the appendix.  

The surgery done at that time was not the "full" cancer surgery.  They removed only some of the right colon and 7 lymph nodes.  5 of the 7 lymph nodes tested positive.

3 PET scans over the course of this have shown my colon is clear.  My first colonoscopy a week or so ago showed no polyps.

I just finished 12 rounds of chemo focused on the colon on August 2.

One extra piece of information is that the first PET scan I had also revealed a tumor in my breast.  Fortunately it is not related to the colon and is only stage 2.  We are planning a lumpectomy and radiation.

The question I am pondering now is whether or not I should have a second surgery on the colon to "finish" the full cancer surgery.  The surgeon would take enough of the colon to leave the usual half and remove more lymph nodes.  Again, there is no evidence of cancer at this time in the colon.

The lumpectomy is done on an outpatient basis but the colon surgery would include a 3-5 day hospital stay.  I am nervous about this because I was already in the hospital for a week in January.  And if there is no disease what do I gain by having surgery as opposed to "close monitoring"?

I'm meeting with my main oncologist this coming week and hope to have more information then but wanted to see if anyone here had any similar experience and/or advice. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Goodness sakes!

Two primary tumours. Now, that is not at all fair. 

Welcome to the forum! The forum nobody wants to be a part of. 

I can't help you with advice, only to say that, in my opinon, surgery is a pretty good option. 

I hope somone else can come up with better advice for you, until then, I just want to say hello. 

Tru

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have no experience in this

I have no experience in this but I agree that two cancers is unfair and it sounds like a tough decision. There are proponents of wait and watch and I thnk that it's an important approach at one of the top hospitals.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2017 #4
    Options
    If it were me, I would wait

If it were me, I would wait for the presence of cancer in the colon before surgery.  The whole process, as you know, is pretty miserable.  Plus, you will be on an accellerated schedule of evaluation now--probably at least 2 CT scans a year and one colonoscopy.  After six months of living in the world of cancer, I would do anything to live outside of it.  Of course, you should get the best medical advice you can and make a decision based on your knowledge, values and intuition.  Good luck with your decisions.

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    Waiting

I too would wait and see.  With close monitoring,surgery can be scheduled as soon as something shows up!   Best of luck to you. May you be NED forever!

• Hope4LRC
    Hope4LRC Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks!

Thanks for the input and well wishes. 

After meeting with all the doctors and having my case evaluated by the "tumor board" which takes place at the medical center through which I am being treated - we have decided to treat the breast cancer with a lumpectomy and radiation now and re-visit the idea of the colon surgery afterwards.  I like this because it means the rest of this stupid disease will be out of me and I can focus on recovery and getting my strength back.  

I may still go ahead with the colon surgery because my lead oncologist believes in being aggressive in my treatment.  The colon surgeon did say it can reduce the chance of a local recurrence.  

Also - side note - I had genetic testing through this facility and do have a MUT-YH mutation but just one so no MAP - thankfully.  Since they don't have alot of data on this mutation there was no recommendation to change my treatment in any way but since I did end up with colon and breast it seems as though it may be a factor.   

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hope4LRC said:

Thanks!

Thanks for the input and well wishes. 

After meeting with all the doctors and having my case evaluated by the "tumor board" which takes place at the medical center through which I am being treated - we have decided to treat the breast cancer with a lumpectomy and radiation now and re-visit the idea of the colon surgery afterwards.  I like this because it means the rest of this stupid disease will be out of me and I can focus on recovery and getting my strength back.  

I may still go ahead with the colon surgery because my lead oncologist believes in being aggressive in my treatment.  The colon surgeon did say it can reduce the chance of a local recurrence.  

Also - side note - I had genetic testing through this facility and do have a MUT-YH mutation but just one so no MAP - thankfully.  Since they don't have alot of data on this mutation there was no recommendation to change my treatment in any way but since I did end up with colon and breast it seems as though it may be a factor.   

It sounds like you're getting

It sounds like you're getting the right things done in my nonprofessional opinion. And it looks like you're going to be part of the research community data to help others in the future. I think that every data point helps.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Wow

So sorry to hear of both cancers.  No one wants to hear of one, let alone two.  Sorry I'm not able to give advice to you.  My tumor was taken out completely but mine was rectal so it's different than colon.  Hope that someone chimes in to give you some good advice.  Wishing you the best.

Kim