New to this journey

Options

In July 2017 my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 Kidney Cancer Renal Cell.  Since then it has been like a rollercoaster ride with tests, diagnosis and treatment plans.  Because his immune system is low (just got over pneumonia) we agreed that he should not be working (works in a warehouse) less chance of catching anything else.  For the most part I am a strong person and can keep it together and focus on what has to be done.  I do work and that actually helps me.  But there are times when I feel overwhelmed with worrying about him and finances and how to pull through all this.  Which is why I joined this group to receive and give support to/from those who are on the same journey.  I look forward to hearing from others with idea's or suggestions or simply just an ear to bend.  

Comments

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to be

I'm so sorry you have to be here but you'll get so much support and information. I just want to say that you caretakers are our angels and without you it would be so much more difficult to get through this. So bless you for being there for him and wishing you both all the best. There are quite a few people who are stage 4 on this forum and doing well. There is always something new that's coming along so I'm sure your husband's oncolgist/surgeon has a plan.

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    Options
    Seeing a therapist changed my life

My situation was not the same as yours, but after my husband had his nepfrectomy I began to suffer from crippling anxiety and depression. I found a therapist and it was the best thing I ever did. She was such an amazing person. It was very helpful to speak to someone outside of my immediate circle of family and friends. She tought me helpful techinques to deal with the anxiety and depression. I saw her for 2 years even after I was no longer becoming depressed, which was very helpful for my well being. 

There are so many amazing people here. I suggest picking and choosing what you read as to not become too overwhelmed by reading everything, all the posts, etc. It can be a lot at once if you do, at least in my experience. Sending positive vibes to you and your family. 

• hardo718
    hardo718 Member Posts: 853 Member
    edited September 2017 #4
    Options
    Welcome ESL

I'm quite sure you're all feeling like you've been hit by a truck.  It's a lot to absorb and then to maintain the day to day stuff.  Couseling may definitely be helpful as stated previously.  Your plate is beyond full and it's a juggling act.  Hard to take care of yourself when you're absorbed by your new found life of necessities and the loss of control over some of the situation.  I wish you the best.

And I'll keep you in my prayers,

Donna~