Hi Guys!

UncleBuddy
UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member

It was a year in July that my brother died from this dreaded disease. I chose the name Uncle Buddy because that's what my kids called my brother, Hughie. He was only 52 when he passed away.  I was blessed to have him i my life. 

It has been hard for me to come back here, but I've missed so many of you. You were all a great support to me when I was in my darkest days. You also helped me through the process with so much knowledge. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about cancer and chemo.

I now have 4 grandchildren, 2 boys and 2 girls. They are the loves of my life.

My dad went into a local assisted living facility after my brother passed. He loved it there! He had a studio apartment and had people catering to his every need. The day after my brother's 1st anniversary in heaven, my dad fell and fractured his pelvis in 3 places. He went to rehab and is now in a nursing facility. He needs 24/7 care now. It was a hard decision to make but with our stairs and narrow halls, our home is not conducive to a wheelchair. He seems happy there, so hopefully we made the right decision. 

Otherwise, life is good. I miss my brother everyday. 

I always think of you all and pray for a cure! Stay healthy!

Lin

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Hello friend!

Time doesn't heal, but it eases a little the acutness of loss. 

I am sorry to hear about your dad.  Its certainly no fun getting old. I hope he heals and is comfortable. I know you love him, and he knows it. You are a blessing in his life, just as you were for your brother. 

Its good to see you popping back and giving us an update. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wow

Can't believe it's been a year already.  You took very good care of your brother and were such a great care giver.  I'd always admired you for coming on the boards and asking questions just to see if you could help him out.  Sorry to hear of your father's fall but glad that he is happy where he is at.  Thanks for coming back on and sharing with us again.  It's good to see your post again.  Congratulations on the grandkids - they are a blessing.

Hugs!  Kim

• UncleBuddy
    Trubrit said:

Hello friend!

Time doesn't heal, but it eases a little the acutness of loss. 

I am sorry to hear about your dad.  Its certainly no fun getting old. I hope he heals and is comfortable. I know you love him, and he knows it. You are a blessing in his life, just as you were for your brother. 

Its good to see you popping back and giving us an update. 

Tru

Hi Sue

Thank you for your kind words. I am enjoying your beautiful photos and videos on FB. I am glad you're doing well. It's encouraging to see that some people have kicked cancer's butt and moved on with their lives. You are a great inspiration.

Hugs,

Linda

• UncleBuddy
    edited September 2017 #5

Wow

Can't believe it's been a year already.  You took very good care of your brother and were such a great care giver.  I'd always admired you for coming on the boards and asking questions just to see if you could help him out.  Sorry to hear of your father's fall but glad that he is happy where he is at.  Thanks for coming back on and sharing with us again.  It's good to see your post again.  Congratulations on the grandkids - they are a blessing.

Hugs!  Kim

Thank Kim

Thank you! You are too kind. I miss Hughie (Uncle Buddy) everyday, but my grandkids keep a smile on my face. I am truly blessed!

How have you been doing? I have thought of you often. I keep hoping that they find a cure in my lifetime. I have contributed to CRC research in my brother's memory hoping that one day they can eliminate this dreaded disease. We have no family history of CRC. My brother had non-hodgkins lymphome in 2000 and they used a chemo combo called CHOPS. I had spoken to Joe Metz years ago (God rest his soul, too) who had the same disease and also used CHOPS and also had rectal cancer. It makes you wonder if here's a connection. But, it gave me more time with my brother, so I won't complain. I just wish they could figure out why people get it since thee are so many different stories I've read on this board.

Anyway, let me know how you're doing and what you're up to these days.

Stay healthy!

Linda