Microcalcifications in breast

bibi1388
bibi1388 Member Posts: 2

I was told at my last mammo and ultrasound that my microcalcifications have changed sine my tests 8 months prior.  The report says I have a cluster of indeterminite microcalcifications, bI rad score of 4.  I was then scheduled to have a sterio biopsy 3 days later but they were unable to do it as the calcs are too far back near the breast bone.  I was scheduled for a surgical biopsy in July but rescheduled and I'm having it on sept 8th, I find myself getting extremely nervous now.  I had breast surgery last July to remove my milk ducts in the other breast, only 1 was scheduled to be removed but when the surgeon went in he saw some infection and decided to remove all milk ducts, the biopsy came back with atypical cells, but he attributed that to the infection.  I had asked if I should have  MRI before surgery but that was not recommended by my surgeon.  Any thoughts Welcome. 

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited September 2017 #2
    2nd opinion

If your not comfortable with it, get a second opinion.  Most do anyhow for confirmation.  Nothing wrong with that and a good doc wont mind that.  It is about your peace of mind that is important.

Praying it is nothing.  Please keep us posted.

Hugs,

Annie

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Second opinion

Bibi, I agree with Annie, I would go for a second opinion at a nationally recognized cancer center. Your case sounds cmplicated and you need to get it right now. Good luck! 

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Microcalcifications.....

bibi1388,

My advice to you is to get the surgical biopsy on Sept. 8.

I went through a similar experience.

At my yearly mammogram, a cluster of  microcalcifications showed up in my left breast that wasn't there the year before. They showed an unusual pattern that might indicate breast cancer. Yes, I had microcalcifications there in the past but they were in a random pattern. The Radiologist lifted up a huge book  he had which showed all kinds of microcalcification patterns. He was concerned that the pattern he saw on my mammogram was similar to what was on one of the pages of his book. 

He recommended a breast biopsy which I had, even with my right arm in a sling due to recent rotator cuff surgery. I had to stand up for the biopsy.

Well, 5 days later, the biopsy report showed breast cancer. About 2 years before this I had an MRI and the results came back "probably benign."  I never saw the lab report but was mailed a letter saying that things were normal, but I had a Birads score of 3. So, nothing was done as far as any biopsy being recommended at that time, which was 4 years before an actual breast cancer biopsy showed a cancer diagnosis.

I had another MRI before my lumpectomy and it showed only the area in question being affected and that area was .5 centimeters. ( very small.) I had the lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy showed 1 positive node out of 7. Only radiation and Arimidex was recommended.

Long story short, after leaving this Oncologist because he wasn't doing bloodwork on me, nor any scans, nor took me seriously when I told him I had rib pain, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer with Metastisis to my bones. This diagnosis was made by my Primary Doctor who had the proper scans done on me. My Oncologist did nothing!

I am now with a caring and thorough Oncologist who is "watching me like a hawk."

Bottom line: A breast biopsy, done by a surgeon, needs to be done  for you soon. Do it and get some answers and peace of mind even though the anxiety is there. I don't think another Oncologist would tell you anything different. You'd just be prolonging the inevitability  of having the breast biopsy and you definitely need it ASAP.

Don't waste any more time. Get your courage up and have it done on the 8th. 

Let us know how you make out. Wishing you good luck, prayers, and all the best!

Kats2

• bibi1388
    bibi1388 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice, I feel

Thanks for the advice, I feel I had a second opinion as my tests were done at a breast center then I met with my surgeon and discussed results and need for surgical biopsy after failed sterio biopsy.  I am going to have the biopsy this Friday and take it from there.  Sorry to hear your story kats2, I am glad you gave found a good doctor who i monitoring you closely. Thanks guys. 

• Elizabeth47
    Elizabeth47 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018 #6
    Microcalcifications

Hi I am 40 and have very dense breast tissue, strong family history of BC but negative on the genetic testing, I have three different clusters of microcalcifications two have been biopsied and are benign but the third clump is at chest wall. I have another follow up today regarding my fibroadenoma and I also have sclerosis adenosis.  This all began 2 years ago and I am asked to go back every 6 months for more testing.  Although so far everything is benign one surgeon said a dbl mastectomy would be advisable because of family history and my very dense breast tissue.  Another said the third cluster cannot be removed and we just watch it closely.  I am uneasy with the conflict of opinions. The one doctor said since two clusters have been benign the third should be...SHOULD BE?? suggestions?

• JReid
    JReid Member Posts: 1
    dreaded call back

Hi, I got the results of Mammogram yesterday which has always come back normal but it has been 3 years this time. I am 59, never had children. Results came back as New regional Microcalcifications at right upper quadrant and subcentimeter nodular asymmetry posterior and superior right breast. Anyone elso know what this means or have had similiar? I have not been feeling well last couple months

• Apaugh
    edited July 2019 #8
    JReid said:

dreaded call back

Hi, I got the results of Mammogram yesterday which has always come back normal but it has been 3 years this time. I am 59, never had children. Results came back as New regional Microcalcifications at right upper quadrant and subcentimeter nodular asymmetry posterior and superior right breast. Anyone elso know what this means or have had similiar? I have not been feeling well last couple months

ask the docs

please ask your docs to speak it in laymans terms and then get a biopsy because you can look at it all you want but wont know until you get a biopsy.

Take a deep breath.

Hugs and Prayers.

keep us posted,

Annie

• candy546
    candy546 Member Posts: 11
    Have the Breast Tissue Analyzed

I have learned the hard way that nothing short of a biopsy is satisfactory when anything abnormal is shown though scans.  I was with a breast clinic that would always refer me for surgery when they found calcifications, thus, the calcifications were always removed and were found to be benign but they followed me closely.  I moved and changed clinics and the new clinic would see things but always say that what they saw was benign. They never saw a need to refer me for surgery.   Lo and behold, I was diagnosed with an endometrial cancer and sent for a full body pet/ct scan and they found what appeared to be a separate primary breast cancer.  I had a biopsy as a result and sure enough, I had a primary slow growing breast cancer that the physician said had most likely been there a few years.  I had just had a mammogram five months earlier and was given a clean bill of health with the statement that there had been no change in the benign nodule that they saw on previous exams.  Boy did I feel screwed.  If the mammogram shows any clacifications or other questionable growths, have it removed and analyzed.  Don't rely on the opinion of radiologists to determine with certainty that anything other than normal appearing tissue is benign.

• Winziggle
    Winziggle Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019 #10
    candy546 said:

I have learned the hard way that nothing short of a biopsy is satisfactory when anything abnormal is shown though scans.  I was with a breast clinic that would always refer me for surgery when they found calcifications, thus, the calcifications were always removed and were found to be benign but they followed me closely.  I moved and changed clinics and the new clinic would see things but always say that what they saw was benign. They never saw a need to refer me for surgery.   Lo and behold, I was diagnosed with an endometrial cancer and sent for a full body pet/ct scan and they found what appeared to be a separate primary breast cancer.  I had a biopsy as a result and sure enough, I had a primary slow growing breast cancer that the physician said had most likely been there a few years.  I had just had a mammogram five months earlier and was given a clean bill of health with the statement that there had been no change in the benign nodule that they saw on previous exams.  Boy did I feel screwed.  If the mammogram shows any clacifications or other questionable growths, have it removed and analyzed.  Don't rely on the opinion of radiologists to determine with certainty that anything other than normal appearing tissue is benign.

Similar slow-grow but showedup after last year's clean mammogram

I've had yearly mamograms since I was 20. Dense tissue, mother and brother had cancer, negative brca. A MRI found ductile dysplasia (calcifications) 5-8 years ago and they took it out then and there. Last year's mammogram clean, this year's 5-8mm mass. Slow-growing, Invasive ductile carcinoma. Just had a lumpectomy (now called partial masectomy.) Will find out my results tomorrow. Didn't know I could have had radiation at the time of surgery, in the surgical spot. Only certain hospitals have that option. My surgeon didn't mention it. A friend had the procedure 3 years ago and is fine. My choice now, even if I have clean margins and no cancer in my sentinal node, of catheter radiation (2 times a day for 5 days) or 4 weeks of daily over the breast radiation. And hormone supressor.

• Apaugh
    candy546 said:

Wow

Your situation sounds like mine was.  Oh we have to fight hard to advocate for our health.   

Best wishes and hugs to you,

Annie

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 26 Member
    I had breast cancer 24 years

I had breast cancer 24 years ago, several times microcalcifications were shown behind my reconstructed breast  on my chest wall, the first the surgeon was able to remove them, were benign. 

In later years 3 times I had microcalcifications on my other breast, had a follow every 3 months and they were gone.

Now I get an breast MRI and the new diagnosis mammogram plus ultrasound. I have an excellent follow up.