Immunotherapy

Options
derMaus
derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member

It's not OUR cancer - in fact it's targeted to those under age 25 with lymphoblastic leukemia - but I rejoyce every time I see more treatments coming online. All cancer patients been stuck with the same ole chemo crap way too long, time for a change - and a cure. 

 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-30/breakthrough-genetic-treatment-for-dire-cancers-approved-by-fda

Comments

  • Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I thank my lucky

    Agreed - I thank my lucky stars every day for those who find new ways to battle this beast! Now, if they could just lower the cost a little... :)

  • EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I saw this tonight on the

    I saw this tonight on the news.  New treatments are being tested all the time.  There HAS to be a cure for cancer; we just have to find it.

    Love,

    Eldri

  • ebellini
    ebellini Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Actually, since my chemo has

    Actually, since my chemo has stopped working, my oncologist referred me to my radiologist for radiation; however, he is also indicating that we may try immunotherapy after.  He claims that it can actually prevent the cells from frowing as quickly even in my type of cancer.   Given the other options, I think it is worth a try.   Just thought I would share that different things are being tried.

  • SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    edited September 2017 #5
    Options
    The more options the better it is for all of us

    Unfortunately I may be needing an option. I had a recurrence of Stage 1A carcinosarcoma/MMMT in my pelvic lymph nodes (frontline treatment after hysterectomy was carboplatin and taxol chemo and brachytherapy). Was treated for recurrence with surgery to remove 3 nodes (one was removed in prior surgery/biopsy) followed up with 25 sessions of pelvic radiation. In the surgery my gyn onc was not able to completely remove one of the nodes because it was so close to the margin. The radiation was supposed to address that and any other spread in the targeted pelvic regions. Looks like the radiation may not have been effective although I won't know for sure until I have a scan. I am feeling swelling once again in the pelvic region (that was what tipped me off in the first place to the recurrence). Yesterday when I visited my primary care doc for my annual I asked her to feel the area as well to make sure I wasn't over-reacting and she felt it too. Called the gyn onc's office and spoke with one of the nurses. She is going to talk to him and see if he wants me to have a CT done that I can bring with me. I have had a tumor specimen sent to Foundation One for genomic profiling prior to this and now I'm thinking that maybe some information about genomic mutations can be gleaned that will yield a potentially effective treatment. Hoping anyway :).  

  • Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    edited September 2017 #6
    Options
    SandyD said:

    The more options the better it is for all of us

    Unfortunately I may be needing an option. I had a recurrence of Stage 1A carcinosarcoma/MMMT in my pelvic lymph nodes (frontline treatment after hysterectomy was carboplatin and taxol chemo and brachytherapy). Was treated for recurrence with surgery to remove 3 nodes (one was removed in prior surgery/biopsy) followed up with 25 sessions of pelvic radiation. In the surgery my gyn onc was not able to completely remove one of the nodes because it was so close to the margin. The radiation was supposed to address that and any other spread in the targeted pelvic regions. Looks like the radiation may not have been effective although I won't know for sure until I have a scan. I am feeling swelling once again in the pelvic region (that was what tipped me off in the first place to the recurrence). Yesterday when I visited my primary care doc for my annual I asked her to feel the area as well to make sure I wasn't over-reacting and she felt it too. Called the gyn onc's office and spoke with one of the nurses. She is going to talk to him and see if he wants me to have a CT done that I can bring with me. I have had a tumor specimen sent to Foundation One for genomic profiling prior to this and now I'm thinking that maybe some information about genomic mutations can be gleaned that will yield a potentially effective treatment. Hoping anyway :).  

    Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear

    Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear this but know that there are many good options to help treat recurrences. I'm glad to hear that you have a good team of doctors working together on your behalf. They will certainly come up with a good plan to get you back on the road to NED. Sending positive thoughts of hope and healing your way, Kim

  • SandyD
    SandyD Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Kvdyson said:

    Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear

    Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear this but know that there are many good options to help treat recurrences. I'm glad to hear that you have a good team of doctors working together on your behalf. They will certainly come up with a good plan to get you back on the road to NED. Sending positive thoughts of hope and healing your way, Kim

    Thanks Kim!

    Appreciate the support. Onc's office called and will be arranging for a PET scan. I'll post when I know more.

  • NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    SandyD said:

    Thanks Kim!

    Appreciate the support. Onc's office called and will be arranging for a PET scan. I'll post when I know more.

    Wishing you the best, Sandy.

    Wishing you the best, Sandy.  Please let us know.

  • derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Article on Combined Immunotherapy

    This article talks about combining an immune checkpoint inhibitor, e.g. Keytruda, with a targeted agent such as Lenvatinib. A 40% response rate for immunotherapy is good IF you have the genetic mutation (microsatellite instabilitiy) that the FDA targeted for Keytruda, but we'd all like to see a broader application and better response rate. Combined therapy offers some movement in that direction. 

    expert-discusses-immunotherapy-across-gynecologic-malignancies