Getting my port-a-cath in the morning

Cherryblssm
Cherryblssm Member Posts: 19

Hi all! 

I'm super nervous about getting this port-a-cath. Everyone I've talked to has told me how much better it's going to be going through chemo with the port but I can't shake the anxiety. Everything seems like it's all moving super quick and I think that may be the main source of my anxiety...but it's focused on getting this port the past few days. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks since my initial diagnosis and everything has just been go,go,go. I had CT scan and bone scan yesterday and meet with my oncologist next Monday. 

Is it normal to request something for the anxiety from my doctor? I don't want to seem like a whiney baby about it

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Cherry

Good luck with the port. Don't be afraid to speak with your doctor about your anxiety. I am sure lots of women going through this feel anxiety and may want help with it. It's a lot to deal with and anxiety is a normal reaction to it! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Be kind to yourself, your not being a baby at all....

It is normal to be anxious.  Your fighting a great fight.   That port is great because it takes the stress off your arm veins.  They can access that port for your treatments, for blood testing, and for hydration if need be.    It will be sore for a little while, but not OMG pain.  (If you get that pain, you call your doc)   Just follow the doctor's directions on it and I am sure you will be fine.

Get you a little pillow or some padding around your shoulder seatbelt because it rubs it makes it sore.  You will always be aware it is there, but it gets better as time goes on. 

Be kind to yourself, it is ok to be nervous over it.  You dont have to apologize to us, most of us on this site have been there and still going through it.  We care about you and hope to be here to help you along your journey.

Hugs,

Annie

• Cherryblssm
    Cherryblssm Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2017 #4
    Good day

Thanks so much for the words of support! Everything went ok with the port. My shoulder is a bit swollen and sore but the actual port site is fine. 

I got good news yesterday too - my bone scan and CT scan both came back clear :) the cancer hasn't spread to anywhere other than my breast and 3 lymph nodes. 

• Apaugh
    Yah!

Glad to hear you got through it ok and you got great news there with no bone mets.  Yippie!  It is ok to request something for your anxiety.  I get mine from my general practiioner (family doc)  She put me on a low dose of Lexpro and it helps me.   Most do give you some, it is understandable to be anxious and you got quite the fight coming on.  If your GP wont give them to you then ask the Onocologist.   It is not about fighting just the cancer, it is about whole body wellness here.  Eat healthy, drink tons of water, take calcium and vit D pills (ask onocologist what amounts he wants you to take)   and if you take any other kind of vit. always ask the doc first before ever taking them.   There is no question too dumb or that sounds whiney.  

Might want to put an icebag on your shoulder and over the area 20 min. at a time only to help with the swelling.  

Hugs,

Annie

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2017 #6
    I was terrified to get my port in

Matter of fact I wasn't even going to get it in. But my dad was with me talk me through it and it all went really smooth. I think everything will go okay with your placement.  it's just a little bit of the fear of the unknown that makes us anxious and scared. 

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    Oh

I didn't see your current post that everything went okay. Yay! I'm glad it went good

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member

Good day

Thanks so much for the words of support! Everything went ok with the port. My shoulder is a bit swollen and sore but the actual port site is fine. 

I got good news yesterday too - my bone scan and CT scan both came back clear :) the cancer hasn't spread to anywhere other than my breast and 3 lymph nodes. 

Great News about your Scans! Cherryblssm

Great News about your scans Cherryblssm...I was the same way when I had to all the scans etc prior to my surgery. Glad they did so can have piece of mine knowing its only in breast and lymph nodes area..  GOD BLESS YOU AND CONTINUE TO BE STRONG AND  

BEEPOSITIVE    ...PRAYERS AND BLESSING TO EVERYONE THAT'S HERE.

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    nspired36 said:

I was terrified to get my port in

Matter of fact I wasn't even going to get it in. But my dad was with me talk me through it and it all went really smooth. I think everything will go okay with your placement.  it's just a little bit of the fear of the unknown that makes us anxious and scared. 

Nspired

it is good to see you and I am glad that your Dad is there to support you through this!  I hope that you are doing well with your treatment!

• Apaugh
    glad to hear

...you are all pushing forward so bravely with dignity and grace.  Your all brave ladies. 

Hugs,

Annie