post radiation side effects

bhjreading
bhjreading Member Posts: 1

Hi fellow anal cancer people.

I finished my 6 week course of chemoradiation about 6 weeks ago. Just in the past couple of weeks I have started to experience a feeling of extreme heaviness in my legs, blating in my belly. some swelling of ankles. Anyone elase have this experience? I also feel extremely winded when I try to walk uphill. This is unlike me..I have always been in good shape.

Thanks for your ideas, if you have any!

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    bhjreading...

Hi,

Let me welcome you as well and add my congratulations on completing this treatment!

I agree with the suggestions given to answer your concerns and they sound fairly common to many of us. My iron level was very low during and after treatment (now 6 1/2 years ago) and was also prescribed iron (ferrous sulfate) as well as received an iron infusion. I still take an iron supplement every other day now, and really notice a difference if I skip a few days! Compression stockings really helped with the leg heaviness. I wore knee high, thigh high, and panty hose, depending on the day. I was given a prescription for the thigh high ones and was fitted by a physical therapist, but honestly have found good support hose right off the shelf that have done just as well. 

Don't overdue too soon, but getting up and going for walks may also help all around, but do not hesitate to talk to your doctor with any concerns as they can best address these issues.

Congrats again, and keep us posted as you move forward.

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    bhjreading

Welcome to this group, however, I'm sorry you had a reason to join us.  Congratulations on getting through your treatment and I wish good news for you in your follow-ups.  As for the heaviness in the legs, it could be simple fatigue, or perhaps the swelling in your ankles is a sign of some lymphedema, which is common after this treatment.  As for the bloating feeling in your abdomen, your intestinal tract has been through a lot and if it's anything like mine was shortly after treatment ended, it is NOT happy!  Your shortness of breath could also be a sign of anemia, so I would suggest getting your iron level checked.  I was a runner and in good condition prior to my diagnosis, but remember having to stop mid-way up my stairs at home during my treatment at times to catch my breath.  I was found to have anemia, which my doctor tried to treat with prescription iron supplements.  However, they made me extremely constipated, so I discontinued them.  Talk to your doctor(s) about all of these symptoms.  I hope none of them turns out to be anything other than temporary lingering side effects from the treatment.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Bhjreading

Welcome! I have nothing to add to the comments above, they say everything I would have. I was still so tired at the point you are! I still feel like I get winded more easily, especially on stairs. Things get much better the farther out you get from treatment. Hang in there!

• jajmom
    jajmom Member Posts: 33 Member
    similar bloating and edema

Hello bhjreading,

I just wanted to let you know that I had very similar symptoms around the same time. In fact they were severe enough to concern my mother (a retired nurse-they're the worst ;) I had a lot of fluid retention in my legs and abdomen for about three weeks. I was continually short of breath, there just didn't seem to be enough space to drawn in air, breathing was almost a chore if I exerted my self in the least. I too was in good shape prior to diagnosis, but this certainly knocked the stuffing out of me!  Much of it has subsided now 3 months post treatment but my lower legs and feet do still swell especially on car trips or if sitting a long time. I believe the radiation (I had full pelvic due to lymph node involvement) either harmed or temporarily disabled the function of the lymph nodes causing the edema...that is just my thoughts. I can not get a Dr. to explain what happens to irradiated nodes!

I talked to the DR. about this, but, as with most of my post treatment complaints, my concerns are poo-pooed (?) and I am told it's probably not from the radiation/chemo. I don't know why the docs are so adamant about not acknowledging post treatment issues. Anyone else experience this?

All I can say is hang in there, it does get better. Your energy level should start rebound slowly. I started taking walks with my dog...he's really good at walking with whatever pace I was capable of and he kept me company! I found that exercise did not necessarily increase endurance, only time. I would recommend just keeping active but do not try to force recovery.

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Chris

I didn't have the leg swelling but also got the feeling some of my side effects were poo-pooed by the doctors too. That's one of the reasons this site is so helpful to me. Talking to others who have gone thru treatment and had the same experiences is very validating. It's always nice to know you aren't the only one.

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    edited August 2017 #7
    Chris

Toward the end of treatment I was very dehydrated and had several infusions for hydration.  At that time, my calves and feet were a bit swollen and felt heavy.  There was some thought that I might have had mild lymphadema, but that was ruled out by a pelvic floor physical therapist and it was probably a result of dehydration..  Gradually, the swelling subsided and the heaviness disappeared.  I think walking and some deconditioning PT helped.

I ask the docs alot of questions and, for the most part, do not allow myself to be intimmidated by them.  And "we don''t know" may sometimes be appropriate(ie how did we get this disease), but I don't want to bebrushed off.  By the way, the old joke in medicine is that whatever symptom the patient is experiencing, it is from another doctor's treatment!