Stage 1 larynx cancer on right vocal cord progress. Not Happy

Options

Innocent

Hello All: Just joined this board tonight because I liked what I was reading about the same problems that I am experiencing after 42 radiation treatments for cancer on right vocal cord. I was diagnosed with cancer on Dec.6 2016, and two biopsys were performed via laryngoscopy. 1st one was inconclusive, second one was conclusive. My ENT at Cooper suggested I get radiation to remove the tumor from my vocal cord. During my radiation treatments, I didn't feel the effects right away until my second to last week of going to treatment. Bad sunburn on my neck, difficulty swallowing, mouth sores, and started magic mouthwash which still works to this day. My last treatment was on march 31st of this year, and still have pain in throat, mouth and neck sores. I even developed a strider in my throat due to inflammation and swellness. In September, I went to go see my ENT to go over my most recent Pet-Scan and to do a laryngoscopy of my throats through my nose. Pet-scan results were great and no diseases or tumors in my body. He did perform a CT scan which revealed a lot of extra tissue in my throat. So, he went in again to remove unwanted tissue and any obstructions in airway. I could swallow much better the next day what ever he did. I see him in about another week. But in the meantime, I am fatigued, in pain, swollen, inflamed, etc. I am taking 40mg Presidone a day and Amoxacillon 500mg twice a day. I have a lot of coughing fits and I still feel sores in my throat. I see my Oncologist this Wednesday to go over my progress. My Oncologist did suggest the I go through Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy if my current treatment for these issues doesn't get better. I feel that I have been through a lot for a person that only had stage 1 cancer of my larynx.

I would appreciate any feedback on my issues With this, and thank you for letting me be in this forum.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comments

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Fatigue

Have your doctor check your Thyroid level. Because of where the radiation was aimed, it may have put you into hypothyrodism.  Having a low thyroid level could explain the fatigue.  It takes some months to recover from radiation and your body has to heal.  

• akumar
    akumar Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Nel,

Hi Nel,

I am having the same issue I am 35 Year old Right Vocal Cord and Stage -1. My doctor has given the option to select either radition theory or Laser Surgery (MLS) and sucess rate for both the modeality is approx 95% and 5% re-occurance probabaity.

I am confuse on it please share your feedback on it?

Thanks 

• aak16
    aak16 Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2018 #4
    Options
    akumar said:

Hi Nel,

Hi Nel,

I am having the same issue I am 35 Year old Right Vocal Cord and Stage -1. My doctor has given the option to select either radition theory or Laser Surgery (MLS) and sucess rate for both the modeality is approx 95% and 5% re-occurance probabaity.

I am confuse on it please share your feedback on it?

Thanks 

Decisions

akumar,  Both treatments have their pros and cons. After having been through radiation treatment, I will say that if your doctor (and a 2nd opinion doctor) says surgery alone will get rid of it, I'd choose that option!