Chemo Type 1 Diabetic PEG Tube

Options
cgw
cgw Member Posts: 2

PEG Tube placement Wed Aug 2, Cisplatin Mon AM Aug 7, Rads 5 days a week, began vomiting Tues Aug 8, 1:30AM, PEG tube infected at placement site, began 2 tpes of antibiotics, hospitalized for acute kidney failure for 4 days, as of today (5 days out of hospital): able to eat small amounts of oatmeal, hamburger patties, yogurt, sugar free poweraid, water, grape juice.  Taking pepsid, tumms, other medication to help with digestion.  Down 15 lbs in 18 days (typically 6 ft 180 lbs).  Have not started tube feeds because he is convinced the tube is causing the digestive issues.  Mucus buids up and causes him to gag and vomiting.  Has not had a bowel movement since Aug 2. Tried magic mouth wash, when he spit it out he gagged and vomited.  This morning rolled over from side to back and began to vomit.  What should we try next?

Comments

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited August 2017 #2
    Options
    GI

My husband is not a diabetic but he had several of those issues including the PEG infection.  Do you have a GI on your treatment team?  If you don't I would strongly encourage you to consider getting an evaluation.  The constitpation is a huge player in the digestive issues.  Also, the antibiotics caused side effects you are describing for my husband as well.  Did they do a culture of the issues with the PEG?  Once we had those results we were able to get the antibiotic correctly targeted and changed.  I am so sorry for your situation.  We had a great oncology treatment team but they did not have the insight about the complexity of some of the issues with the PEG that the GI did nor the management of the issues with consitipation and reflux.  The GI was far, far more agressive in the management of those issues in the short and leng term.  It was a game changer for my husband to implement his recommendations.  Hopefully things will improve for you soon.  The PEG kept my husband alive but it was hard at first.  

• cgw
    cgw Member Posts: 2
    Options
    soonermom said:

GI

My husband is not a diabetic but he had several of those issues including the PEG infection.  Do you have a GI on your treatment team?  If you don't I would strongly encourage you to consider getting an evaluation.  The constitpation is a huge player in the digestive issues.  Also, the antibiotics caused side effects you are describing for my husband as well.  Did they do a culture of the issues with the PEG?  Once we had those results we were able to get the antibiotic correctly targeted and changed.  I am so sorry for your situation.  We had a great oncology treatment team but they did not have the insight about the complexity of some of the issues with the PEG that the GI did nor the management of the issues with consitipation and reflux.  The GI was far, far more agressive in the management of those issues in the short and leng term.  It was a game changer for my husband to implement his recommendations.  Hopefully things will improve for you soon.  The PEG kept my husband alive but it was hard at first.  

GI

We do have a GI doctor.  He was consulted during the hospital stay and sent his assistant instead of coming in to see my husband in person.  So, not to happy but am making an appt with the GI Dr tomorrow bc we are at our lowest point...  All other syptoms seem better today.  I will take your advice and give the GI Dr a concentrate effort until the GI issues get better.  Thank you!

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Miralax

for the constipation. Thats what my nurses recommended, and lets face, we see them more than we see the Drs!