Informative Mushroom Supplement Article

Options
MAbound
MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member

Anyone taking or thinking about taking mushroom supplements might find this article about their bioavailability interesting.

http://supplement-facts.org/2012-6.php#.WZcROT6GPal

Also, Mushroom Wisdom was given as a source for these supplements in an earlier post. I was googling about them and it seems they have some issues with their manufacturing practices because they farm out to other companies and don't do the testing needed to verify product with their label is true to identity, purity, strength, and composition. They were given a warning letter by the FDA in 2012 for this as well as illegal claims on their labeling and as far as I can find out those issues are still open.

I'm not saying medicinal mushrooms aren't worth taking, but there really isn't much out there to guide a person about the brands so that you can have some confidence about what you are putting into your body. It's probably safer to work them into the diet somehow, but I don't know yet how much you'd have to eat and if the amount would be reasonable. More to go learn, I guess! It never stops, does it?