LAST RADIATION TREATMENT TODAY

Linda C.
Linda C. Member Posts: 107 Member
edited August 2017 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

THIRTY FIFTH AND FINAL TREATMENT TODAY

My brother drove me to treatment today.  Evelyn, Ann, and Carolyn met us there.  I had my treatment and then I gave the techs gifts I brought for them.   Some peace rock paintings that I did last year.  They seemed to like them.

Then we did the ringing of the bell ceremony.  I was given a Certificate of Accomplishment and there was a bubble machine shooting bubbles all around the room.   I rang the bell three times then several more times for photo shots.  One of my Radiation Technicians took photos with my cell phone for me.  And everyone else used their phones for photos and videos.  Go here to see some of the photos.    http://mythroatcancerdiary.blogspot.com/image

Enjoying the wet bubbles on my face, while Carolyn, Evelyn, Bob, and Ann look on.

Reading my Certificate

Ann is holding my mask that I get to take home.

Even on this photo you can see the large protruding area on the left side of the mask where the lymph node was the size of an egg.

Here it sits on a table in front of my fireplace.  It has flowers behind it which makes it look like a face.  Freaky.

Then it was time to see the Oncologist.  He told me that he was very pleased in my healing process.  My neck burns are minimal and the pain medication dose I take is small but adequate.  I am going to be seeing him again on August 23rd at 3:30.   He encouraged me to call if I needed any more pain meds.  I assured him I would.

He said that I would be having a PET Scan in about 3 months.  That would show if the area at the base of my tongue is healed.  He is pretty sure that the lymph node is free of cancer.  He said that I could have a scope performed by Dr. Beyer if I wanted - in order to check on the base of tongue cancer.  I said that I would prefer Dr. Beyer to have the look down my throat.  I have an appointment scheduled on September 6th at 1:30.   

He also mentioned that I may have to see a therapist for the problems I have swallowing.  Also I have lymphedema in my neck caused by the radiation and may need to learn exercises to relieve that. 

Then it was time to go home.  Evelyn and Carolyn brought me a door hanger.

I hung it on my front door.

Words on the back.

Thanks a bunch.  I really like it. 

Comments

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2017 #2
    Congratulations on completing

Congratulations on completing treatment! !! 

• Dennis from Kansas
    Dennis from Kansas Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2017 #3
    Fantastic

Hope you have a speedy recovery

• Linda C.

Congratulations on completing

Congratulations on completing treatment! !! 

Thank you

Thank you.

• Linda C.

Fantastic

Hope you have a speedy recovery

Thank you

Thank you

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Done

Linda,

Very good, you are now post and on your way to a happy new normal.

Your swallowing, speech, edema, appetite, your everything should move slowly toward getting better.

I wish you the best of luck.

Matt

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited August 2017 #7
    So Happy For You!

Better days ahead soon!

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    Time to heal. Very good. Bill

Time to heal. Very good. Bill