Radiation countdown

Options
HapB
HapB Member Posts: 527
edited August 2017 in Breast Cancer #1

Three more sessions to go! I can't wait to be done with this. So far, no real problems at all. This is the first part of the treatment that my body has tolerated well. This sure is one heck of a year. I have almost totally missed summer!  I sure have learned a lot about people this time around. My entire family and friends have been away at their summer homes and travels and I have gone through this alone. Every day I got dozens of text messages and emails. I stopped answering them about a month ago. It just felt so impersonal and cold to me. What a world this is!!! 

Comments

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    Options
    GET READY TO RING THE BELL MS HAPB

Congrads..you almost ready to "ring the bell"  I felt so blessed when the bell was ringing a few months ago when I completed radiatiSmileon.

it got a little worse before it go better with the skin peeling and some slight pain...put nothing you cant handle!

YEAH sometimes Family dont know how to react..but they should visit and check on you when they can...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.....GOD BLESS AND CONTINUED SUCCESS WITH YOUR TREATMENTS...HUGS

BEEPOSITIVE

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sorry you did this alone-I am

sorry you did this alone-I am happy it is almost over for you. I had BC 2008 and the ONLY date I remember with all i had done was my LAST day of radiation-June 28, 2008.

I still quietly do the  happy dance in my head-unless you went through it, you do not get the anniversary.

Denise

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

GET READY TO RING THE BELL MS HAPB

Congrads..you almost ready to "ring the bell"  I felt so blessed when the bell was ringing a few months ago when I completed radiatiSmileon.

it got a little worse before it go better with the skin peeling and some slight pain...put nothing you cant handle!

YEAH sometimes Family dont know how to react..but they should visit and check on you when they can...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.....GOD BLESS AND CONTINUED SUCCESS WITH YOUR TREATMENTS...HUGS

BEEPOSITIVE

My cancer center did not have

My cancer center did not have the Bell, BUT I did get a mini diploma.

You are right, some family and friends are not sure whether to mention the "C" or just go along like anyother day.

Denise

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi HapB,

Congrats on finishing radiation!!  Are you finished with all treatments?

I am sorry to hear about the family support...I think that sometimes people who really mean well, just don't get it!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited August 2017 #6
    Options
    Most dont get it...

Hap, Congratulations.  Yah!   Your are a warrior.   

People dont get it.  They just dont and I hope they dont have to.  I would not wish this on an enemy.   I dont think I have any, but still would not.

You do have us.  We are here for you always.

Keep being kind to yourself, keep celebrating the little things.  It matters and you matter.

Hugs,

Annie

• HapB
    Options
    Treatments

Thank you everyone. Two more radiations to go!! Can't wait to be done with this. Mesch, i am doing Herceptin infusions every 21 days for a year, and an AI for 5-10 years.  Never ending! 

Tonight I got a phone call from one of my brothers to tell me one of his friends has BC and how awful a time she is having. I felt like screaming, but I didn't. I asked him if he remembered that I was being treated for BC. He said, yes, but they got all your cancer with surgery and you are just having treatment to prevent more cancer. WTH. LIke I want to do this?  I just don't know what to say anymore. 

• meschellejensen
    Options
    That would be frustrating!

I am sure that your brother has no idea how difficult what your are going through is, but it would be nice if he asked you!!  I agree with you that BC treatment is never ending!  5-10 years is a long time to wait to feel great again.  Again, I do not think that people realize how tough it is!!

• HapB
    edited August 2017 #9
    Options
    Challenges

Mesch, yes it is very frustrating and one of my challenges going forward is trying to understand and not be angry with the people who were not there for me and who just didn't get it. I understand that it is summer in New England and everybody had plans, but the level of minimizing breast cancer is something I never expected. I think people have been desensitized and are under the mistaken belief that there is a cure for this cancer. I don't want the insensitivity of people to change who I am, but it is going to be a challenge. 

• meschellejensen
    Options
    Challenges

Many people that I have talked to about breast cancer do believe that stage 1 is easy.  It is easier than stage 4, but there is a range of treatments based on the specifics of a diagnosis, and every treatment comes with possible side effects.  People also think that because BC patients have anti-hormonals that they have a pill to "cure cancer.'  They don't realize that what it is , is a pill that creates nasty side effects for 5-10 years, and may or may not prevent a recurrance. 

I agree with Annie that I wouldn't wish this on anybody, and I also agree that they cannot understand it if they haven't experienced it up close and personal!

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    At least WE get it!

While I am not glad to hear that others have had the same experiences with those around them not seeing that post active treatment we are still in treatment, at least we can come here to see that we are not alone.  Post active treatment people see hair and we go back to our jobs and responsibilities, but I agree that unless you have experienced the SE of continued treatment or late effects, do not talk to me about how lucky I am.

Every lump we feel and scan we have, every change in meds and new SE we experience brings home the reality of how our lives have changed.  Yes, we are lucky to still be here, but each day is a challenge.

Kathy

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Yay!

Congrats on almost being done with radiation! That had to feel good

• Apaugh
    edited August 2017 #13
    Options
    HapB said:

Treatments

Thank you everyone. Two more radiations to go!! Can't wait to be done with this. Mesch, i am doing Herceptin infusions every 21 days for a year, and an AI for 5-10 years.  Never ending! 

Tonight I got a phone call from one of my brothers to tell me one of his friends has BC and how awful a time she is having. I felt like screaming, but I didn't. I asked him if he remembered that I was being treated for BC. He said, yes, but they got all your cancer with surgery and you are just having treatment to prevent more cancer. WTH. LIke I want to do this?  I just don't know what to say anymore. 

People are dumb

People are just dumb.  It makes you wonder how in the world they get up everyday and actually function.

HUGS<

Annie

• Apaugh
    Options
    Teach76 said:

At least WE get it!

While I am not glad to hear that others have had the same experiences with those around them not seeing that post active treatment we are still in treatment, at least we can come here to see that we are not alone.  Post active treatment people see hair and we go back to our jobs and responsibilities, but I agree that unless you have experienced the SE of continued treatment or late effects, do not talk to me about how lucky I am.

Every lump we feel and scan we have, every change in meds and new SE we experience brings home the reality of how our lives have changed.  Yes, we are lucky to still be here, but each day is a challenge.

Kathy

Yep

You wrote that so well.  

• HapB
    edited August 2017 #15
    Options
    Nspired36

Nspired, how are you doing?  I hope that all is going well with yout treatment. 

• Apaugh
    Options
    nspired36 said:

Yay!

Congrats on almost being done with radiation! That had to feel good

Hey

How are you doing?  

Hugs,,

Annie

• HapB
    Options

Challenges

Many people that I have talked to about breast cancer do believe that stage 1 is easy.  It is easier than stage 4, but there is a range of treatments based on the specifics of a diagnosis, and every treatment comes with possible side effects.  People also think that because BC patients have anti-hormonals that they have a pill to "cure cancer.'  They don't realize that what it is , is a pill that creates nasty side effects for 5-10 years, and may or may not prevent a recurrance. 

I agree with Annie that I wouldn't wish this on anybody, and I also agree that they cannot understand it if they haven't experienced it up close and personal!

Mesch

Because I am triple positive, the recommended treatment for stage 1 is exactly the same as for more advanced stages, which is mind blowing!  I am so disappointed in people from all of this and I realize that after a lifetime of being there for anyone who needed me, I am alone. I think it is just the stage of life that I am in.