Maintenance pills after chemo

Options
bobby66
bobby66 Member Posts: 69
edited August 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My husband will be done with chemo soon. The doctor said after that is maintenance with pills. Does everyone takes the same pills? if yes which medication is it? (he forgot to ask the doctor). Can anyone tell me their experience with pills after 5fu and avasting?

Comments

• MyJourneywithCancer
    Options
    Hi bobby66
    A little more details will be helpful: diagnosis, stage, response to chemo, etc.
  • SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    pills

Is he stage4?  If so, the pills could be Capecitabine (brand name Xeloda).  There are quite a few posts on that if you search the site.

• NHMike
    NHMike Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It may be Xeloda which is the

It may be Xeloda which is the oral form of 5FU. I'm currently taking Xeloda before surgery and, for me, it is very well tolerated. Reactions vary widerly from person to person.

I have no experience with Avastin.

• bobby66
    Options
    He is stage 4 and is almost

He is stage 4 and is almost done with treatment, i beleive that he is going on his 9th treatment, he also has metastasis on the liver. I'm just concern because the tumors are still there including the liver, but nothing has been said about getting rid of them. Does the Xeloda shrinks them or is it just a maintenance? i'm confused right now. Are the side effects the same? Sensitivity to cold etc..

• bobby66
    Options

Hi bobby66
    A little more details will be helpful: diagnosis, stage, response to chemo, etc.

Stage 4, colon cancer with

Stage 4, colon cancer with metastasis in the liver.  He has about the same side effects that everyone has. Sensitivity to cold, lost of appetite, a film like in his mouth that makes all the food taste bland. a little fatigue. The only one that he hasnt respond to good to is Avastin, which it was removed from the cocktail, but the doctor said she might incorporated later on to see how he deals with it.

• bobby66
    Options

pills

Is he stage4?  If so, the pills could be Capecitabine (brand name Xeloda).  There are quite a few posts on that if you search the site.

thanks by the way. Where do

thanks by the way. Where do you get the Curcumin, i have been searching for it and can't find it in my local supermarket.

• SandiaBuddy
    edited August 2017 #8
    Options
    bobby66 said:

thanks by the way. Where do

thanks by the way. Where do you get the Curcumin, i have been searching for it and can't find it in my local supermarket.

Curcumin

The spice tumeric has curcumin as its main ingredient, and that should be freely available in the supermarket.  I first bought some pills at Walmart, but now have switched over to Costco where they were recently available at a discount.  Also, just about any health food store should have them available.

• SandiaBuddy
    edited August 2017 #9
    Options
    Call

Before you put a lot of effort into researching capecitabine, you should probably call the doctor's office and verify that is what he is going to take.  It is likely noted in his file and a nurse or staff person can read it and verify the upcoming medication.  They should be very accustomed to receiving such calls.

• bobby66
    edited August 2017 #10
    Options

Curcumin

The spice tumeric has curcumin as its main ingredient, and that should be freely available in the supermarket.  I first bought some pills at Walmart, but now have switched over to Costco where they were recently available at a discount.  Also, just about any health food store should have them available.

Thanks..

Thanks..

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am stage 4 & been on Xeloda 1 year

I have mulitple tumors in my liver and also in my lungs.  My tumors continued to shrink at least through January 2017.  I had an ablation on a liver tumor in january, and the Y90 therashperese on the left lobe of my liver in April.  I didn't have a scan from January until August and the last scan showed that the lung tumors have been growing slightly.  I am having a cryoablation on a 1.5cm lung tumor.  

I see my oncologist tomorrow, so will see if he increases the xeloda or changes my meds. It probably slowed the tumor growth, but doesn't seem to be working as well anymore since they are growing.   

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2017 #12
    Options
    Having folfiri for CRC with liver mets

I have CRC with multiple liver mets - told inoperable.  Has his Onco mentioned folfiri + avastin - same chemo cocktail as folfox, but irinotecan instead of oxyplatin.  I have had about 20 chemo treatments of folfiri - have not had folfox.  Others have been on maintenance dose of Xeloda.  Hopefully they will post info on that.