On Hospice what toe expect, how long

MyPop
MyPop Member Posts: 4

Hi, my 87 year old FIL WAS recently diagnosed with a Left Lung mass the size of a golf ball, with many positive Lymph nodes via CT. Treatment was not an option, as he was gravely ill in hospital with Aspiration Pneumonia,  Severe Sepsis, Cardiomyopathy,  and chronic lung disease. He also has Lymphoma,  times 12 years,  in the wait and watch phase, having undergone Chemotherapy for 11 months, back in 2005. Because he was so I'll, and the had to tap his right lung  (the Pneumonia side), which caused a partial collapse of the lung,  they decided he was not a candidate for treatment,  which he did not want anyways,  so we brought hin home on Hospice  since being home now X 1 week, he is much improved and feeling well though still terribly weak and bedbound  but my question is how fast will this mass grow without treatment, and what is his prognosis,  how long will he last, what's next, What to watch for,  I'm very confused of what will happen next. I definitely do not want him to suffer! I guess I'm a little scared here! Thank you! 

Comments

• ClaCla
    ClaCla Member Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2017 #2
    Well Wishes to MyPop

Hi, those are probably questions the hospice people can better answer, based on their experience and what they're seeing with him.  Hopefully, someone will have something to share with you on this site.  But also go back to "Discussion Boards."  Then under the "Cancer Specific" list is a section called "Other Discussion Boards."  If you start your own post under "Caregivers" there may be a lot of experience there to share with you.  I've been through the diseases and deaths of my own elderly family and inlaws, so have an idea of what you're experiencing.  My sympathy for these tough times for you and your family.  Am praying for peace and comfort for you all.

• MyPop
    MyPop Member Posts: 4
    ClaCla said:

Well Wishes to MyPop

Hi, those are probably questions the hospice people can better answer, based on their experience and what they're seeing with him.  Hopefully, someone will have something to share with you on this site.  But also go back to "Discussion Boards."  Then under the "Cancer Specific" list is a section called "Other Discussion Boards."  If you start your own post under "Caregivers" there may be a lot of experience there to share with you.  I've been through the diseases and deaths of my own elderly family and inlaws, so have an idea of what you're experiencing.  My sympathy for these tough times for you and your family.  Am praying for peace and comfort for you all.

Clallam, Thank you!  I have

ClaCla, Thank you!  I have posted another question,  but your suggestion of a Hospice header is  great idea!  TY!