Well..

Options
SuzJ
SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member

Not NED.

The Tumor has gone (yay) but the lymph nodes still light up like a christmas tree, so I'm looking at surgery.

2 options, - wait and see, or cut them out.

I'm not fond of wandering around with an axe over my head, so if the Tumor board agrees on monday, we'll be removing them.

Comments

• Engelsa
    Engelsa Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Life isn't fair

SuzJ

I am very sorry to hear this news. I agree with your decision to have the surgery.

My greatest hope for you is a complete NED after surgery.

Sara

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Well, I am on your team.

SuzJ,

If the lymph nodes light up, isn’t that the results of wait and see?  Do they think they will possibly go away?

I am sure you are in good hands and if surgery is the preferred option, I wouldn’t worry about it.  I only had one very bad lymph node which was entangled with my jugular vein and it came out with a little work.

Good luck.

Matt

• yensid683
    yensid683 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Similar experience

my first post rads PET showed no tumor, but did light up the originally involved nodes.  My RO wanted to adopt a wait and see approach, my ENT wanted to do a selective neck dissection and remove the nodes.  The tumor board met and they recommended removal.

Surgery was fairly easy to tolerate, I had a big wad pf bandages (think 'scarf wrapped neck) and some discomfort, but it wasn't anywhere near what I'd feared.  I took pain meds for just 2 days so it was no real problem.  Testing showed weak, inactive remnant disease - my ENT said that they had to search to find the few cells that remained.  in the great scheme of things I think I could have opted for the do nothing approach, but I'm glad I had them removed.  I'm 5 years post rads and there was no recurrence, so I'm sure I made the right choice.

Keeping positive thoughts flowing....

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Options
    So sorry. I also think I

So sorry. I also think I would not want to just wait and see. Let us know what the tumor board says. All the best to you.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2017 #6
    Options
    Bummer, but you're tough, you

Bummer, but you're tough, you'll make it.

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Grrrrr!!

Oh friend, I'm sorry.  Let us know the outcome and decision the board makes. We're here for you.  Lots of hugs being sent your way. ❤️❤️

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Got a date!

31st of August - taking them out.

Asked my ENT how his sewing is... first he looked confused, then, a little pink (LOL) then he said "this isn't my first rodeo" to which I replied "cowboys can sew?"

3 days in apparently, again.. right over a holiday.. oh well!

Thanks for all the kind words and hugs :)

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    Options
    I love your sense of humor. I

I love your sense of humor. I admire it. Lots of hugs being sent your way 

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Whoa Cow Girl.

You got this. You have done the hard part.  Good Luck>Cool

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Add my hugs to MMDowns!!

Add my hugs to MMDowns!! Wishing you a super speedy recovery! 

• Engelsa
    Engelsa Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017 #12
    Options
    Wishing you the ultimate recovery

SuzJ

I am wishing you full NED from this treatment and hoping this will be endured with more ease than the chemo/radiation.

Sara