Hip pain/back pain Update

Wisteria83
Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160

Here's my update...as promised.

Turns out that my back pain was actually back pain...with nothing to do with radiation (unlike the hip pain).

A couple weeks of back pain turned into sciatica.  I went through this last year.  It's been a month and has only got worse.  Had an MRI.  No change from last year.  A couple of herniated disks.  L-4-5 and L-5/S1.  I'm unable to find a comfortable position no matter what I do, and it's got much worse over the last week.  I can barely straighten up to walk.  The slightest movement is excruciating.  I had an transforaminal steroid epidural yesterday, and the pain is actually worse today.  Dr. said to expect an excacerbation (sp?) for two to three days before I get any relief, IF it's going to work.  The exact same thing happened last summer, and it took two injections, two weeks apart for me to get relief, but then it lasted for a year, so I was lucky.

My back no longer hurts (hips still do, both sides) all the pain is in my right buttock and down my right leg, right into my foot.  There is seriously nothing like nerve pain to humble you.  Pain meds do not even touch this.  If you've never experienced this before, imagine the worst possible tooth ache you've ever had, multiply it times 10 and apply it to your entire leg.  I'm not joking.

This has set me back tremendously as far as healing from CA treatment.  I was supposed to be getting physical therapy to help build up my strength, and that's out of the question at this point.  Walking is out of the question.  Feeling very depressed and in so much pain.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Wis

I'm really sorry you are in such pain.  I experienced nerve pain in my right foot after I had a bunionectomy and intentional fracture of my 1st. metatarsal to move it back in place.  My 2nd. metatarsal was already fractured prior to the surgery from running.  My nerve pain was off the charts for awhile, so I can only imagine what you are going through.  Have you ever tried Neurontin?  I haven't, but I know it is sometimes suggested for nerve pain. 

I have suffered from back pain sporadically most of my adult life and have also had a couple of bouts with sciatica.  It is miserable.  I hope that you will get some relief in a couple of days from the epidural.  Chronic pain affects our frame of mind for sure.  I do hope all of this lifts for you real soon.  Take care.

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2017 #3
    Neurontin

This new pain management dr. prescribed a new med called Horizant.  It's like a long acting Gabapentin (Neurontin). She gave me two weeks worth of samples that didn't help a bit.  Just as well because my co-pay AFTER insurance was $370.00.  NO THANK YOU!  Who can afford that?  Damned pharmaceutical companies!

I've tried regular gabapentin, and Lyrica both and neither helped.  The only thing that has helped in the past is the epidural steroid.  My husband asked me why I won't just have surgery for it.  Well...because it's SURGERY!  That's a huge deal, and I'd rather go through injections every year than go under the knife.  Especially, now, when my health is compromised with the cancer treatment.  Maybe some day I'll be in a position where surgery will be my only option, but I'm not there yet.

It's odd how I don't even feel the back pain now that the pain is in my leg.  Back pain sucks horribly, but I'd take it over this in a heartbeat.  My husband bought me a cane to help me walk, but I have so little upper body strength that even using that only helps a bit with my balance.  He's disgusted that I'm going to pain management and they aren't "managing" my pain.  He keeps saying that it's 2017, and there's no reason for people to experience such pain.  I understand and share his frustration, but unless they come up with something to knock me unconcious, there is always going to be some level of pain to contend with.

You've experienced nerve pain, so you know how it is.  It's like you look at the offending limb like it's not even part of you.  How could the pain possibly be this bad?  This new practice offers different modalities for treatment, including psych.  I'm already on an antidepressant, but this has made that med ineffective.  Perhaps they can help me deal with the depression I'm experiencing.  I've lived with chronic pain since my second C-spine surgery.  It seems like it's been just one thing after another for the last 15+ years.  They also offer accupuncture, but unfortunately, Medicare won't cover that.  It would be strictly out of pocket and that's not financially feasable for me.  While I was looking for a new pain management practice I found one that ONLY wrote pain med prescriptions.  That's it.  This new place is affiliated with a local hospital, so they offer so much more than just drugs.  My goal is to eventually get off ALL meds, hopefully, this new place can help me do that.

Thank you so very much for your support and input.  I know I can always count on you for your words of wisdom!

Hugs, ~Wis

• mp327
    edited August 2017 #4
    Wis

Awwwww, you are so sweet!  I'm a truly sorry you are in so much pain.  It really sucks!  I hope you find help at the new place and that your days of pain and frustration will soon come to a close.

I never really experienced a lot of pain in my younger years, but I will share this with you, because it confounded me when I was a kid.  My dad had an infection in his middle finger on his dominant hand when he was in high school.  Back then, they didn't have all of the antibiotics that they have now and Penicillin seemed to be the only available one at that time, to which he was allergic.  He was left no option but to have his finger amputated at the age of 17.  He handled it all very well, according to his accounts and those of my grandparents.  But as a kid, I can remember him having phantom pain and terrible itching in a digit that was no longer there!  It must have been pure agony for him at times!  That's pretty hard to imagine when you're a child.  I get it now.  Whether we have pain or sensations in a body part that is gone or one that we still have and we can't make it go away, it has to be miserable.  My heart goes out to you as you continue to deal with this.

• olonzac
    olonzac Member Posts: 2 Member
    radical colostomy refused

I'm 75 with stage 3A T3 N0 anal canal carcinoma, 6 mo post treatment with persistent disease.  A radical APR has been suggested with no other options to this date.  Because of my age, infection rates, post operative dementia, & failure rates, I've decided not to have the surgery.  Has anyone else made a similar decision and what symptoms have you experienced?  At this time, I feel great w/o pain or bowel problems, high energy, & a good appetite.  Thank you for your help.  I'm a 1st time user & a new member.

• mp327
    olonzac

Welcome here, but I am sorry to hear of your situation.  I am a few years younger at age 63, but I've tossed around in my mind many times what decision I would make if I found that my cancer had returned.  I can truly understand why you have made this decision.  It is your body, your life and your decision.  I'm glad to know you are currently feeling good and I hope you will continue to do so for as long as possible.  May God bless.

• MeemaTJ
    MeemaTJ Member Posts: 1
    Sick of the pain!

I finished chemo in June for non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and since then all of my previous injured parts are very painful. I had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, and a total hip replacement last January and now EVERYTHING hurts again. Plus both hands keep going numb constantly. I already felt like the bionic woman marked down from $6 million dollars, now I'm feeling like all I can do now is stand in the middle of the floor and explode! Naproxen and Gabapentin are as effective as a Tic-Tac. Anyone else going through this foolishness?

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited November 2017 #8
    chewed up bones

Thats how it feels in my hip and lower back.  Now further damage to middle of spine and neck and lymphedema in both arms.  I have had two rounds of PT and they have helped me learn how to stay loose. Water therepy helps. Slow moves.  Because of all these side effects, I will deal with this for life. 

Prayers going up for you,

Annie