How do you deal with the pressure from the mass in the rectum?

Options
2»

Comments

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2017 #22
    Options
    Short Temper!

My post surgery issue has been a very short temper.  It's understandable, but I don't like it.  I am trying to count my blessings and share what I have with others as atonement for my short temper. 

However, this does not apply to unsolicited telemarketing phone calls.  I tore into Bob (telemarketer) today and told him just what I went through to get to the phone to answer it.  The only reason I did was because I thought it might be someone from the hospital or ostomy supply store.  Poor Bob.

Tomorrow I intend to sit outside and enjoy the fall air and sunshine and to become one with nature.  To sit and relax; to listen; to smell; to feel nature.  I have four days of hospital to get off and out of me.

Prior to my spinal fusions I was an avid runner.  That activity would calm my nerves regardless of the situation.  Endorphins were physically, mentally and emotionally therapeutic.  There is no equal subsitute.

It is very challenging to not worry and create stress when cancer is the issue.  We don't live in vacuums so that increase in worry and stress spreads through the family and friends.  It feeds on itself and creates new worry and stress.  Just when you need to be at peace, your are not.

So as best that you can, be at peace my friend.

Jim

• BRHMichigan
    BRHMichigan Member Posts: 368
    edited October 2017 #23
    Options
    Glad you are home, Jim

I had probably my first peaceful day at home yesterday.  I look forward to the same today.  It's been super rainy here but expecting full sunshine this week in the Midwest.  My husband is constantly suggesting I sit outside, which I intend to do all week.  Along with some very short walks.  Pain at stoma site is far worse than at my incisions.  

Phone caller i.d. shows up for us on our television so we are able to ignore what we can.  I understand your anger with that telemarketer.  Hope it wasn't someone from India offering you a 'Windows' update on your PC.  Lol

Has a nurse visited you yet?  I found minecto be okay but no ostomy expert.  The hospital education was very valuable, and I am becoming a pro pretty quickly.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    edited October 2017 #24
    Options
    darcher said:

I just had a PET scan done

I just had a PET scan done yesterday and I was able to see the results.  Although it doesn't show size it does show metabolism which reflects viability.  Mine was dark, ie, dead. I'm still somewhat plugged up and it seems the tumor is breaking up bit by bit so that's good news.  I also found out the size isn't that of a chicken egg.  It took a little thought and speculation that it's the glow of it that I was looking at and not the actual size when I saw it at the surgeons office.  I asked the Pet scan techs about that and they said yes, exactly, the size of the image isn't indicitive of the tumor size.  I just wish they'd tell a person these things so they don't freak out like I did.  When I saw it at the surgeons office I assumed it was the x-ray.  Turns out it was the first Pet scan done back in July.   

Surgery is on Nov 3 and prepop on Oct 20, next Friday.  I have to write these things down and keep them posted on the wall otherwise there is a good chance I'll loose track of it.  Pet scans along with any other screening test isn't perfect and there is a good chance there could be some small colonies just waiting for their chance to grow so the surgery is stilll on along with the chemo afterwards.  

Another thing we're told about is how atitude plays a big part.  What they need to do is break it down and explain why.  Stress causes cancer to grow and form mets.  Like anything else when a person is told not to worry it often gets pushed aside as just casual good advice.  With this, it can mean the difference between living and not.  It needs a lot more attention and instruction.

I hope all are well or getting better.  So far so good in my camp.

Good news on the metabolism.

Good news on the metabolism. Most of the breakup of my tumor started around two-three weeks into the radiation treatments and it continued until about two weeks after treatments ended. There's sometimes a little piece that comes out but it's been rare lately. Hopefully things are more comfortable for you and getting moreso with time.

Did they give you the size of the tumor?

I'm sure that we'll be chatting a lot in the next couple of weeks.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Options

Short Temper!

My post surgery issue has been a very short temper.  It's understandable, but I don't like it.  I am trying to count my blessings and share what I have with others as atonement for my short temper. 

However, this does not apply to unsolicited telemarketing phone calls.  I tore into Bob (telemarketer) today and told him just what I went through to get to the phone to answer it.  The only reason I did was because I thought it might be someone from the hospital or ostomy supply store.  Poor Bob.

Tomorrow I intend to sit outside and enjoy the fall air and sunshine and to become one with nature.  To sit and relax; to listen; to smell; to feel nature.  I have four days of hospital to get off and out of me.

Prior to my spinal fusions I was an avid runner.  That activity would calm my nerves regardless of the situation.  Endorphins were physically, mentally and emotionally therapeutic.  There is no equal subsitute.

It is very challenging to not worry and create stress when cancer is the issue.  We don't live in vacuums so that increase in worry and stress spreads through the family and friends.  It feeds on itself and creates new worry and stress.  Just when you need to be at peace, your are not.

So as best that you can, be at peace my friend.

Jim

My approach on phone calls is

My approach on phone calls is to ignore unknown callers and let them go to voicemail but I found that I couldn't do that with cancer as it might be something important. So I started answering all of my calls and that means a lot of telemarketing calls. Though I wait for the person or machine on the other line to say something first. I normally don't have a short temper but I will keep in mind what you've written as dealing with a lot of stressful stuff can result in changes in how we normally respond to things.

I agree on running. I ran four miles yesterday and plan to do the same today (would like to do it for the next three weeks).