Four weeks post treatment

Options
frokker68
frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
edited July 2017 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Today is my 4 week since treatment.   I had 7 weeks of chemo and rads.  Cisplatin once a week and 35 days of rads. 

Healing and recovery has been slow.  Hard to measure any daily improvement.  More like weekly or even monthly.  The string mucus has subsided. I still have phlem in at the back of my throat. Not too bothersome.  I just spit a lot.  Mouth sores have pretty much cleared up. Only sore spot is bask of tongue where the tumor was.   It's very sore and hurts to swallow still.  I can manage grits, mashed potatoes, and the like.  Taste is weak, but there.  I still depend on feeding tube for the most part.   

Another issue I am still dealing with is constant fatigue.  My sleep pattern sucks.  I might be up 40+ hours,  and can't fall asleep.  When I do, it's about 2 hours max.   Example...... last night i slept 10pm to 12am. Then 1am to 3am. And finally, 6am to 7am.  

One last issue is some minor pain at my feeding tube site. It has a growth coming out that is very sore.  Almost like a hemroid?  

Other than those issues above, I feel and am doing good. The people of this forum helped me fight through the hell that is treatment. For that, I thank you all. 

Keith

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    4 weeks post

Keith,

Glad to see you on the other side and you thought you could not make it.  It is hard to understand how rough it is from people telling you, but to go through it “first hand” is an eye opener.

For me the fatigue was eventually traced to my Thyroid checking out.  That is a bit early for you, but something to watch.  You have been very inactive for the past couple of months, get yourself in to some minor activities like a walk outside (everything helps).

I would have your doctor look at any issues with the PEG. You will probably get it popped out as soon as you prove you are consuming enough calories by mouth.  Smoothies count, it doesn’t have to be solid or semi-solid food.

Good luck.

Matt

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    edited July 2017 #3
    Options
    Four weeks post treatment

Keith,  Congrats on reaching this milestone!

Husband had same problem with feeding tube.  It did resolve itself, I have no idea why. I second Matt, have doctor check this.

It is hard to sleep without exertion.  Physical exertion is hard with the fatigue.  Husband goes on long walks.  As he is older, I credit this with his continued recovery.  (Matt is again correct in mentioning the thyroid, which can be contributing to fatigue.)

Best wishes in your continuing recovery - it does come!

Crystal

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Fight on.

The fatigue is real. And sleep is very difficult. It will improve with time. I think the problem is lack of quality diet and quality sleep. At night most of us mouth breathe which just compounds the the thick saliva and dry mouth issues. I would wake up every 20 minutes to an hour just to hydrate my dry mouth. None of the oral dry mouth products worked for crap. Just roll one day at a time for now and sleep when your tired. Try a humidifier blowing on your face area at night. Just might help. Good Luck.

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Fatigue

Hi Keith

Even though Im out running I am a lot slower than I was and still get tired early evening my pulse meter is higher than usual which I can only assume is a lower red blood cell count I think this has a lot to do with fatigue, Ive read that this can take quite a while to come back to normal levels. As Matt sugested getting out for walks might help.

All the Best,

Andy

• frokker68
    edited July 2017 #6
    Options
    I already have hypothyroidism

I already have hypothyroidism.   I bet the rads made it worse.  Probably need my thyroid meds adjusted.  I will ask Monday at my appointment.  

• Starzzy
    Starzzy Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Peg tube

check with your doctor regarding your peg tube. I had the same issue and had to have my tube replaced due to a fistula growth. When they changed the tube, they applied silver nitrate to the growth. It feels so much better now. I still have issues with seepage but I hear that is normal. It has been just about 11 months since my surgery but still having issues with swallowing that is slowly getting better. 

• mapdan
    mapdan Member Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2017 #8
    Options
    sleep

Keith,

Ya I rmember the sleeping habits as well. Sleep for two hours and up for two days. It will get better!!! I am 8 months out from same treatment as you. 35 rads and 7 chemo. I went for small walks all the time to help me. Listen to Andy and Matt, they have very good advice. I sleep good now and eating still an issue but deal with it I guess. I used a wheel borrow and hauled 5 tons of landscape rocks this past week on a project on my house so it comes back Keith. Trust me. Time is a great healer. Good luck to you buddy.  

• frokker68
    Options
    mapdan said:

sleep

Keith,

Ya I rmember the sleeping habits as well. Sleep for two hours and up for two days. It will get better!!! I am 8 months out from same treatment as you. 35 rads and 7 chemo. I went for small walks all the time to help me. Listen to Andy and Matt, they have very good advice. I sleep good now and eating still an issue but deal with it I guess. I used a wheel borrow and hauled 5 tons of landscape rocks this past week on a project on my house so it comes back Keith. Trust me. Time is a great healer. Good luck to you buddy.  

Thank you all.  It's getting

Thank you all.  It's getting better.  Saw ENT DOC  yesterday and he ran a scope up my nose into my throat.  He saw no tumor.  So that is certainly good news.  He also said my throat/tongue are healing as well as can be expected.  So I am happy about that.  

It's slow, but I am getting better!!!!

Keith