What to do now?

Options
LizzoBizzo
LizzoBizzo Member Posts: 2

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post ever. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last November (@ age 26). Finshed Chemo at the end of March and had a Double Masectomy May2. So I am officially cancer free, which is a HUGE blessing. I still have my reconstructive surgey planned for September and have to take tamoxifen forver but I feel like the worst is over.

One thing I am struggling with is "what to do now". I feel like I have been coutning down to get to where I am but when I got here I feel LIke "now what". I feel kind of lost and alone sometimes. I guess I am just curious if others felt this way when they were done with a lot of thier treatements, and if anyone had any advice?

I have a great support system and I just started working out here and there ( I am fatigued a lot). 

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks - Liz!

Comments

• booksandnumbers
    booksandnumbers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Lost

Hi! I know the feeling. I thought I would be over the moon when I finished treatment but not so. No matter how good my support system was and how well I excercised, I became more and more depressed until I was finally prescribed Lexapro. Please don't wait too long to talk to a professional. I thought it would get better on it's own and it didn't. I wasted a lot of time being miserable because I thought I should be thankful that I was alive. So yes, others feel like you do. It happens to quite a few of us. Wishing you all the best.

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Be vigil

Hi LizzoBizzo,

I'm happy you're done with your treatment. Good luck with your reconstructive surgery in September.

I just want to suggest that you have good follow-up  care with your Oncologist as time goes by.  Make sure you have bloodwork done on a timely basis and see your Oncologist regularly. Don't let lots of time go by without a checkup. For me, no bloodwork or tumor markers were done on me for 1  1/2 years. In that time my breast cancer, which was "thought" to be in remission, showed its face.

My new Oncologist told me he was shocked that I had NO follow-up tests or bloodwork done in all that time and doesn't believe I had ever been in remission. So be vigil. That's my advice.

Wishing you much good luck and happiness in the future!     Kats2

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Normal feelings

I am one year out of treatment.  After finishing radiation I had the same feelings.  Traveling to treatment for over 13 months I felt that I was no longer doing anything to move forward.  I had to keep reminding myself that the goal was to finish treatment and move on with my life.   As you continue to return for appointments you will be reminded that you are still actively monitoring your dx.

Of course, now being on preventive meds which come with their own set of side effects, I continue to document anything that comes - rash, cold, muscle aches.  In meeting with team members, if I mention something that may seem a little off, they always ask, " How long has this been going on?  How frequently do you experience this? Do you see a pattern?"  While journaling is not necessary post treatment, for me, I feel I am keeping a handle on my progress.

best wishes for a bright future!

Kathy

• LizzoBizzo
    LizzoBizzo Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Ladies

I really appreciate your comments/notes ladies. I will defintely take all of your advice!

This whole process is kind of crazy, what we go throgh mentally and physically. It's strange to me I felt really strong and positive throughout my treament and sugery, and once I started back to normal life it was just such a stange feeling! I think I thought I would go back to how things were before, but this whole process really changes you. 

I haven't really been interested in joining any suport groups until now.

Thanks again for your support!! 

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LizzoBizzo reply

hello LizzoBizzo,

I know how you are feeling ..i finished radiation about a month ago and have breast expander in and will have implant in about 6 months or so once my breast and body REcover from the radiation. i am on anti horomone pills also...FEELING BLESSED. KEEP MY FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENTS ETC....ITS HARD sometimes but i focus on the positive and glad I did breast exam and demanded my dr refer me for additional tests ..things could have been lot worst.  i have joint pain from the pills especially when i first get out of bed..but i jump on treadmill for about 20 /30 minutes blast my MUSIC and keep it moving.!!much success to you....find something you like doing and focus on the positive and those things you can control....

hugs and prayers to you    BEEPOSITIVE Smile

• JosephK
    JosephK Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Glad

That you caught it early. I wish you success in your journey and hope you are able to get of of the 'Rut" that you are feeling. Focus on the positive and know that there are others that wish they could be in the same boat you are in. You've been blessed.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    hugs

hugs

• HaveALittleFaith
    HaveALittleFaith Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Liz,

Hi Liz,

I had that feeling for a moment, what's next I've been blessed C-free.(that's huge in and of itself)

What should I be doing now? But it's a journey and yes your old life may seem like it's not quite the perfect fit and that's okay.  You have taken a journey that many people cannot understand the depths of. You do come out the other side changed.. it brings clarity, a new understanding of kindness, love and grace. It makes you focus on what's important in life and shows you those who really love you and who will go that extra mile with you.  That is amazing!

Like a butterfly you will fly free & a path will unravel that creates a life that fits. :)