Another Newbie here -- tx questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Post treatment

Hi there,  I'll add my experience,  if it's helpful. My treatment ended in January so is been 7 months and my outer bits are healed, at least the skin is intact,  but inside my anus is another story.   The pain and bleeding will get better for a few weeks and then get worse again.   I had a large tumor so I suppose the damage is fairly extensive.   If you are stage 1 I imagine you will heal up better and faster.  My dr said in another 6 months I should feel a lot better.  

I also work from home and had to take about 2 months completely off.   I still have not gone back to my full work schedule,  I can't handle the stress.   You're body will tell you what you can handle.   Many people are able to go back to work a few weeks after treatment.   Hopefully you will be one of those.   Good luck and keep us posted. 

Jane 

• scmomof3
    scmomof3 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Post Treatment -- update

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information and support.  I finished tx about 3 weeks ago. The burns got bad enough that I had to take three days off near the end, but I completed the treatments.  I was able to continue working, for the most part, but I certainly had unpredictable fatigue and it was helpful that I had dialed back my company's business already this year for other reasons.  My employees picked up the slack and I got through it.  The anal bleeding from the tumor or leision has stopped, and the digital exam that my doctor did last week showed nothing is left there.  I will have an anoscopy to check visually in about two weeks.  

I have other questions that I will post on a new thread -- but thanks again!

SCMomof3

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2017 #24
    Options
    scmomof3 said:

Post Treatment -- update

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information and support.  I finished tx about 3 weeks ago. The burns got bad enough that I had to take three days off near the end, but I completed the treatments.  I was able to continue working, for the most part, but I certainly had unpredictable fatigue and it was helpful that I had dialed back my company's business already this year for other reasons.  My employees picked up the slack and I got through it.  The anal bleeding from the tumor or leision has stopped, and the digital exam that my doctor did last week showed nothing is left there.  I will have an anoscopy to check visually in about two weeks.  

SCMomof3

scmomof3

I'm glad you are finished with treatment and that your doctor found no evidence of the tumor upon exam.  Such good news!

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2017 #25
    Options
    My treatment ended March 17,

My treatment ended March 17, 2017. I found lots of good advice here that got  me through it all.   I did not work during treatment and slept for about two months.  Some things are better now than before treatment.  No bleeding or pain when I have a BM.  I can stand from a sitting position without pulling myself up.  My husband said I was telling him last year I needed a high toilet.  That cancer will suck the life out of you.  I was diagnosed with Stage 3 anal cancer in January.  My PET scan in June was NED.  I try to forget about the treatment and enjoy life!   Every day is precious.

• HeatherApril14
    HeatherApril14 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    scmomof3 said:

Post Treatment -- update

SCMomof3

I'm glad to read that you are

I'm glad to read that you are done with  treatment.  I start this week and I'm confused and overwhelmed- glad I found this site to hear so many of your stories and suggestions for getting through this.    Once month ago I had routine colonoscopy and they found my anal tumor - stage II squamash like many of you, it sounds like.  Even though it's only been one month, it seems like the tumor (I can feel it through vaginal wall) has doubled in size! Chemo/radiation starts in three days for me. I guess my biggest fear is the problems I'll have with radiation because I plan on coming to my office after the radiation and working as close to 40 hours per week that I am able.  Did any of you have any luck working through concurrent radiation and chemo?  I'll have 30 radiations and two chemo rounds.  Am I fooling myself that I can work through all this?  What was worse, the chemo or the radiation? I am glad I have some resources on this site - everything I've read from all of you has been informative and I wish you all health and good results.  

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    HeatherApril14

I'm sorry you have a reason to be here, but I welcome you.  There's lots of good information and support here.  As for working through treatment, that was not an issue for me, as I was not working at that time.  However, if I had been employed, I don't think I could have worked towards the end of my 6 weeks of treatment.  It does vary from person to person, though, as to what side effects one experiences and their severity.  I would just suggest having a back-up plan so that your work is covered in the event you have to sideline yourself for a time.  The most important thing is getting though treatment.  You will get through it just like all of us.  I am a 9+ year survivor and I hope your treatment will be as successful as mine was!

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited November 2017 #28
    Options
    Scmomof3 and Heatherapril
    Congratulations on finishing treatment and the great results Scmomof3! And Heatherapril welcome to the site. There was a recent thread on being able to work during treatment. I did not work- I could have some at first but chose not to since I had the sick leave- and at the end I couldn't have worked if I wanted to. But everyone is different and hopefully you will be able to work most of the time.
  • scmomof3
    scmomof3 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Post treatment update

Just wanted to thank everyone again, and I hope that Heather is hanging in there.  The second 5FU administration was the worst time for me and I was not really able to work for about a week there.  Right now I am having copious vaginal and anal mucus/discharge.  Hoping that will get better, but at least bowel movements are no longer painful.  

SCMomof3

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Scmomof3

Congratulations on finishing treatment! You must be very tough to have worked during treatment. I hope you continue to get your energy back so you can enjoy the holidays.

• HeatherApril14
    HeatherApril14 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    scmomof3 said:

Post treatment update

Just wanted to thank everyone again, and I hope that Heather is hanging in there.  The second 5FU administration was the worst time for me and I was not really able to work for about a week there.  Right now I am having copious vaginal and anal mucus/discharge.  Hoping that will get better, but at least bowel movements are no longer painful.  

SCMomof3

Hanging in There and Best to All of You

I am hanging in there! Start my second round of chemo in two days and have 15 more radiation treatments so today I am exactly at halfway point.  I am still working! But I did schedule to not work the 96 hours or so that I'll have the chemo pump on - that was hard the last time, as I was nauseous and it was cumbersome to wear.  Today I feel better than I've felt in weeks (flu knocked me out for 10 days or so) so, knock on wood, I can keep working through this.  I have my memory foam donut and a cot set up in a spare office and the two little old attorneys I work for are being so great about it.  They told me to take the whole 6-7 weeks off, but oddly did not offer to pay me!  I would say the biggest challenge is keeping the diarrhea at bay.  I can't just run into shops or visit friends easily due to sudden cramping and burning need to GO.  I'm just taking it day by day and by the time I get home all I want is to sit in tub, lather up with lotion and lay in bed with heating pad.  Thinking of all of you as you are going through treatment, it's a hard time with the holidays and not being part of what I normally do to make season special.  

Heather 

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Heather.....The last two

Heather.....The last two weeks of treatment go by fast then give yourself some time to heal.  Your body does it's repair work when you sleep so take naps.  In a few months it will be a distant memory.