Metastatic Breast cancer-- now in liver

jfoster
jfoster Member Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. My mom was diagnosed with BC Jan 2016. She did a clinical trial, then chemo, then radiation. While doing radiation this spring, the found cancer had spread to hip bone. Here we are in July and they've discovered the cancer has moved to her liver. She had been having some indigestion for a couple weeks and finally went her doctor. The liver is swolllen causing the indigestion and a UTI. She started a chemo pill last week.

I went to see her at her job today on my way to work and I noticed she was really tan (normally very pale...those Irish genes) and she looked to her boss who was talkin and I noticed her eyes were a tint of yellow. I immediately said "you need to call your doctor mom. You're possibly jaundice"

No one will give me a time frame on how long she has left. Just -Not curable, only manageable. Which is frustrating. I have a 10 yr old daughter and she's very close to her. When do I tell her? What do I tell her? She knows grammy has cancer. She thinks it's better...well we all thought she was better now.

Has anyone else dealt with jaundice while going through Stage IV cancer? Does it go away, or is this a sign we are nearing the end? I'm freaking out over here because she has nothing planned-- no money, no funeral arrangement, no one put in charge of decisions....nothing! It's so stressfull.

Any advice?

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited July 2017 #2
    Did you ask her?

One thing my mother taught me was to not allow your head to race.  Stick with the facts only.  Get her to her doctors and listen to how those doctors plan to treat her and if you dont like what they say, go get a second opinion and see if they match or have a different thought process. 

I was blessed to spend alot of time with my mom over the 15 years she battled 5 different types of cancer.  We had many opportunities to discuss everything.  She spoke openly about her death.  Not the conversation you ever want to have but like life, there is death.  

I am sorry there is no money.  As a mother, I am sure this is not the position she thought she would be in or put you in.  Perhaps if you have siblings you could all start now at building a fund for this. 

Prayers going up for you and your mom.

Hugs,

Annie 

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Mine spread to liver while on chemo

they tried a new chemo. The mets to my bones.brain lungs and now somenodes is there but the liver mets  cleared.  But the rest is all still here. I have 3-6 months which I believe,  it this has been 7 years now of treating. The mets. Now I am having more problems but 7yeafs was better than 3-6 months!!! 

Honestly, it is all based on statistics but we all have different medical al issues. I wish you and your family the best.  It is really hard and stage 4 is trestable, not  cureable.one thing I keep getting are UTI's, but it is extremely painful in the bones!

Bottom line is cancer sucks.

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2017 #4
    jFoster reply

Hello JFoster, sorry to hear about your mom!  know its hard Before My ex mother in law passed..we did not know how long she had...and I really did not want to know..because only God really knows that anyway!!!! we just enjoyed the times with her and was there with her as much as we could with love and being around her.    Prayers to you and your family    NEVER GIVE UP!!! SHE prob have YEARS ahead of her!!

Beepositive  Smile

• JosephK
    JosephK Member Posts: 64
    jfoster

Look for a nother clinical trial for your mother. I don't know where you live but there is a CAR-T trial in Buffalo, New York and Providence Rhode Island that are recruiting. Car-t has had some success and they are looking for Breast Cancer patients where the cancer has metasisized to other parts of the body. Don't wait. Here is the link to see if you can get in and if she qualifies,

https://www.breastcancertrials.org/bct_nation/browse_trials.seam?Search_Query_Term1=Car-T&Search_Operator=OR&Search_Query_Term2=&searchGo=search&categoryString=Search&Ecom_ReceiptTo_Postal_PostalCode=

• jfoster
    jfoster Member Posts: 4
    update

She's in hospice care now. She did chemo pill form for a couple of months and then go pnuemonia the week of Thanksgiving. They've given her days-weeks. She's got days where she can't even form words...then days where she talks up a storm all day long (inserting random comments that don't make sense). She can't get out of bed. She's swollen. Liver and kidneys are failing.

i hate the waiting game...

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    prayers

Prayers of comfort and peace for you, your mom and your family going up.