Vocal cord cancer

Options

My Son in law has cancer of the vocal cords.  He has had three surgeries - two biopsies came back clean, but the third one came back with the "C" attached.  His surgeon feels that the only way to save his voice and rid himself of this cancer is by using the KTP Lazer.    After the first two surgeries, their insurance kicked hem out.  The next insurance didn't have their doctor on their "plan."  (Self employed - Blue Cross/Blue Shield)   We cannot find any doctor/hospital that has this therapy.   My daughter/son in law had a quote from the hospital/surgeon for 3100.00.   They paid 1500.00 the day of the surgery (had to pay out of pocket as they felt such confidence in this method/surgeon.   A couple of weeks later, they pullled up their bill which showed they owed over 9000.00!   So, they are trying to straighten it out.  He needs another surgery, but they need to find some hospital that will take their insurance as he might need as many as six more surgeries.   This has been a nightmare.  We live in Texas.   UTSouthwestern is where they were - they do not take their insurance.  MD Anerson does not take.  Baylor does not take it.   These are the only three that have the capabilities of doing the KTP Lazer surgery which seesm to kille the cancer and keeps the voice.   I called Sloan Kettering who said they take this insurance from people living in Texas.  However, when I called the insurance company they said that they canNOT get treatment out of the state of Texas.  This is a very sad and scary time for us.    Two doctors are trying to see if they can get preauthoirzation to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield agree to pay for some of this.  The rational is that since there is no doctor/hospital in their plan that does this surgery which seems to be life saving and voice saving, we are at a loss.    The financial burden of trying to pay for this out of pocket is overwhelming.

Comments?

Comments

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Depending on income,

Depending on income, hospitals always have some sort of patient assistance program that can help.

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited July 2017 #3
    Options
    Insurance

We have been through some of the same issues.  All I can tell you is that sometimes having insurance is great and we appreciate ours but it also creates a maze of passing the buck to go through that can send you right over the edge. I think they all have layers of appeals and I agree that you might have to slug it out through some of them based on the unavailabity of the treatment in your network.  Your voice is huge.  It is worth it to exhaust every option.  We could never self pay and encountered the same denials but I think you may have some options.  Bless you.  This part of the journey is what made me lose my mind.  

• IMODad
    IMODad Member Posts: 3
    Options
    My father's initial diagnosis

My father's initial diagnosis was multiple benign followed by the one... He underwent radiation for his. He still had his voice, albiet a little growly at times, but pretty much not terribly effected. 

Check for patient need funds with the offices they are a patient at. Our local office has one. Perhaps they could assist.