Possible Anal or Perianal Cancer

Options
Modstar45
Modstar45 Member Posts: 7
My Mother recently went to her yearly physical on Wednesday and got a biopsy taken down in her perineum area closer to the edge of the anus because she had been complaining about itchiness and pain/burn while using the restroom for the last 2 weeks. She recently had been straining and trying to use toilet paper to push down on the area to go and had been itching it since it started getting irritated. At first he thought it was a fissure problem but then he said he was concerned that the skin was rough so he wanted to biopsy to be on safe side. Just so worked up on having to wait on the results, nothing back yet. I know it can be anything but the one think you fear is cancer, I was just wondering if anyone else has any past experience with something like this. The rough skin I figured could just be from scratching or irritation, we also did daily walks outside and its been so hot that we would sweat a lot and sometimes she went w/o showering for hours that could have also caused the issue. I just thought Drs would at least look at it and see about treating it first to see if it goes away instead of just jumping to a biopsy which makes me worry more.
I know everyone is different and only the report will tell us what is wrong but just really trying to find some help on it, I just constantly worry.

Thanks

Comments

• Salsify
    Salsify Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't panic!

It actually sounds just a little bit like part of my experience with anal cancer, and it makes sense that they want to biopsy to be safe. If it is cancer, the sooner it is treated the better off your mom will be - and anal cancer has a great recovery rate. And it sounds like they do just want to be on the safe side. My doctor was pretty sure mine was cancer as soon as he looked in me. And it is really good they are checking for cancer early - a lot of people spent a couple of years being told they had hemorrhoids while their tumors grew!

Good luck!

sally

• Modstar45
    Options
    Thanks for your response, its
    Thanks for your response, its nice hearing from other people who know about this. Is rough skin something very alarming to that area. Was your symptoms close to the same? Her biopsy was skin from the outside, could there be something going on also in the inside?
  • Salsify
    Salsify Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Modstar45 said:

Thanks for your response, its
    Thanks for your response, its nice hearing from other people who know about this. Is rough skin something very alarming to that area. Was your symptoms close to the same? Her biopsy was skin from the outside, could there be something going on also in the inside?

rough skin

I had bloody mucous after BM that finally made me get to doctor. But on and off for at least a year I had awful "butt crack itch". I have wondered sometimes if there was any connection, which is why those symptoms caught my eye. I really don't think there was, and I am hoping that her biopsy comes back benign. You will keep us posted, I hope!

• Modstar45
    Options
    I will, thanks again for your
    I will, thanks again for your follow up :)
  • Modstar45
    edited July 2017 #6
    Options
    My Mom got her results back
    My Mom got her results back and it is Cancer but its Skin Cancer - Basal Cell, waiting to consult with a Surgeon about removal but Dr. said this is very treatable. My Mom has already removed a Melanoma back in 2013 with success so we'll remove this one as well!

Thanks for your replies Salsify, I'll update later once we have a full game plan to remove.
  • Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Modstar

I'm glad your mom ended up with "only" basal cell cancer. A lot of relief she doesn't have to do radiation or chemo!

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Modstar45

I'm glad your mom's skin cancer is the kind that can be treated easily and I wish her all the best!

• Modstar45
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind
    Thanks all for the kind responses.

Just hope we can get this cut out and get all of it in one go and put it behind us. He said he doesn't see this very often in this area so its hard to find a lot of info on BCC in that location to know if its really different then any other part of the body. I had found a few reports of it and they are mainly treated with wide excision to make sure to get clear margins and its still rare to recur.