Still losing weight?

So, hubby's pet scan was NED. ENT follow up yesterday was excellent. His blood work looks good. He's eating very very well. But, he is still losing weight. To the tune of about 10 lbs in since completing treatment 3 months ago. This is on top of the 40 lbs he lost during treatment. I'm concerned but no one seems to be.  I guess I just need some reassurance.

Comments

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2017 #2
    Start counting calories

He has to be burning more than he is eating? About a pound a week weight loss is not far below calories required remember its base calories required to maintain weight plus calories burnt doing exercise/work. I use   http://www.myfitnesspal.com/   on the internet to keep a track of calories I used this for 2 years before I got cancer.

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    Yes!

We have the same situation going on here.  We are hoping to have the PEG out in a month so we are tracking calories like crazy.  If I am not watching it like a hawk, he is losing weight.  We are also trying to exercise to increase his stamina and strength so that burns calories too.  If you track them and he is still losing weight you need to get someone to care.  We can schedule an appt with the dietician at our treatment center anytime.  You have to be careful I have found because most everything honestly is slanted toward weight loss or weight maintainence.  I wander the stores looking for opportunities to increase calories in a way he can tolerate.  I agree with Andy13460, track calories.  You might be surprised.  My husband still has zero appetite and at one time he can only tolerate a very small amount of food at a time.  This has not really improved much.  So, he has to eat more often and with no appetite he won't do it unless he is on a schedule and very motivated.  If you track your calories you might be surprised how few he is taking in.   

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    myfitnesspal

used for dieting, but also for calorie tracking for people like us. free, easy to use.

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    I'm sure it's possible  he's

I'm sure it's possible  he's burning more calories than he is consuming. I have tried to talk to him about how his body now requires more calories but he's never been a big eater and he's being stubborn.  Today, I suggested we schedule an appointment with the cancer centers nutritionist but he said no. Arrrgh, the curse of having a stubborn hard headed southern man for a husband.  Just kidding,  mostly. 

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Fats and protein

Since he is a light eater, try to consume as much fat and protein over carbs. There is twice the caloric energy in them.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    I'm an emmenently rational

I'm an emmenently rational and reasonable westerner, and I find food tough.  It just has no appeal.  My tongue gets a periodic coat of something, my drymouth kicks in, and even with mostly functional tastebuds things don't taste 'good', they just taste [mostly].  Sweet taste is now unbearable, and we are a society that adds some form of sugar to almost everything.  My wife is a Food Network junky, and is near desperation.  Breakfast is now some form of egg and potatoes, lunch is now always a very standardized salad because of my drugs and clotting problem, and that leaves dinner.  Mostly by then I've done my 2,000 calories and am not interested in packing in +1,000 more.  I can pretty much predict my weight by the hour.  I came out of this determined I was never going to weigh above 190 lb (I'm 6'1", started treatment at 220lb, not obese but on the border), but that is not even close to an issue.  Unless something changes rather substantially I will weigh 185 tomorrow, and the day after, and...

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2017 #8
    cut the carbs

Sugar, potatoes are carbs. salad has no weight gain. more protein, make some protein shakes. more fat and oils 

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    donfoo said:

cut the carbs

Sugar, potatoes are carbs. salad has no weight gain. more protein, make some protein shakes. more fat and oils 

Ah, but salad has lots of

Ah, but salad has lots of built in water and juices.  If you are fighting drymouth and struggling with taste some nice Kalamata olives, some artichoke hearts, we are right now in the time of garden tomatoes (and, unfortunately, massive zucchini)...  Mix in a little tuna, maybe shreaded chicken, prawns, crab, salads do not need to be boring.  I find restauraunt salads depressing, so little creativity.  A well crafted salad should not require salad dressing, nothing like a little tasteful nudity.  I know I've made a good salad when the greens are gone and there is still an inch of juice on the bottom of the bowl.   I'm also doing, personally, around two gallons of milk a week.  

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    I am happy to report my

I am happy to report my husband has gained a couple pounds since my last post. He is in the process of reprogramming his eating schedule.  Finally listened to me and is taking high protein snacks to work to eat between meals. Yay!

• melnanner
    melnanner Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017 #11
    Gaining weight with a feeding tube

My husband has tongue cancer and is dependent on a g-tube for food. We have been using Liquid Hope and also making food. We are trying to keep his diet as clean as possible and staying away from processed sugar. Unfortunately, he is still unable to gain weight. Does anybody have any suggestions or recipes that could help to increase his calories?