Not Sure Where To Turn

Options
Kristinam29
Kristinam29 Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone, not even sure this is appropriate or the right thing to do but I am totally unsure what to do.  I am 39 and will be 40 in about 3 1/2 weeks.  Because of this mammograms are not covered and I am having a difficult time finding on in the surrounding area for a reduced cost (perhaps even free).  This didn't concern me until I felt a pretty large mass in my right breast that has never been there before.  It is pretty much painless unless pressed repeatedly, etc.  However, it is alarmingly large, somewhat oval in shape and feels hard and uneven.  I found a mobile mammogram treatment bus however it will not be available in my are until the weekend of my 40th birthday (which as I mentioned is almost a month away).  I don't have insurance unfortunately at this time as I just switched jobs, should I go to the ER?  Would they possibly do preliminary testing?  Please help I am terrified and don't have any family in the area....

Thanks,

Kristina (NC)

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2017 #2
    Options
    Kristina

I am sorry that you do not have insurance. If you just switched jobs, are you sure that you don't have COBRA? 

You need to start making some phone calls in your state. Do you qualify for Medicaid? I would call the American Cancer Society, Planned Parenthhood in your state, any Community Action Program, clinics, etc. 

An ER does not treat cancer. 

• Kristinam29
    edited July 2017 #3
    Options
    Thank  you guys so much!  I

Thank  you guys so much!  I don't have COBRA unfortunately bad judgment on my call.  I don't qualify for medicaid I only have "family planning medicaid" not sure what that exactly covers.  I knew the ER wouldn't treat cancer but thought maybe they could do an ultrasound to see if it is something that I need to have check immediately or could wait until August 11th.  I will definitely check these websites out... I am trying to not be terrified but unfortunately a single mother of 3 looking at the prospect of something like breast cancer can be tragically overwhelming...it almost consumes every thought not know if that is inside my body Frown

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2017 #4
    Options
    CDC Program

Kristina,

The Center for Disease Control has a program that covers breast and cervical cancer screening to uninsured women. You may also be able to get Medicaid insurance to cover any treatment you may need. Visit the CDC's website: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/nbccedp/about.htm

The human services agency in your county may be able to give you more information. Another option is to speak to a financial counselor at a hospital. Don't be terrified. There is help available. Please post again to let us know how things are going. We care Smile

• HapB
    edited July 2017 #5
    Options
    Kristin

Kristin, try not to worry right now. Even if you had health insurance, you would probqbly wait weeks for a mammogram; I did.  August 11th is just a few weeks away.  In the meantime, if I were you, I would get Obamacare now. Call your state exchange and get health insurance for you and your children. 

• Kristinam29
    edited July 2017 #6
    Options
    Thanks for the response HapB.

Thanks for the response HapB... I have an appointment for tomorrow with a great clinic here in VA Beach especially for those with low programs.  And I am sorry but I refuse to get Obamacare....sorry nothing personal.  Thanks for all the help and support!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    "Obamacare"/ACA

Just sayin' . . . should the worst case scenario be true, your physician/hospital will get you into a plan to cover your expenses - and it will be because of the Affordable Care Act.  This is not a political statement, it's a fact.  Even Medicaid is under that umbrella.  I hope there is nothing for you to be concerned about in any case and am glad you have an appointment.

• HapB
    Options

Thanks for the response HapB.

Thanks for the response HapB... I have an appointment for tomorrow with a great clinic here in VA Beach especially for those with low programs.  And I am sorry but I refuse to get Obamacare....sorry nothing personal.  Thanks for all the help and support!

Kristanm

Kriatan, I am glad that you are being seen tomorrow. Worrying is not good for you.  I hope that you rethink getting  health insurance. You need it. You don't have to like Obama to get Medicaid through your state exchanges. I never needed it, but yout politics should not influence your decision about getting the help that you need. Your kids need a healthy Mom and you can't get treatment without health insurance. If you need qualify for a subsidy you need to accept that. I sure hope that your kids have health insurance too. Please don't let your feelings about Obama effect your health !!!!!  I was a single Mom too and i know how hard it is to balance everything. At least check out Medicaid.