Believe in Better.. Things that helped me

Life is a journey & anyone who has been through "C" treatment knows it is too.  Some things that helped me:

• Focus only on the step your on, don't look forward & don't look back
  • Find things that make you laugh, best medicine ever
  • Remember no matter how bad you feel physically, tell yourself it's not forever, it's just a stepping stone to where you want to be
  • Don't use the "C" word, don't give it power, mommy's sick is just fine.. And yes I even told my doctors we don't use that word :)
  • Find a doctor you feel you can trust & who has a positive outlook/plan even when things may look bleak.. I found my "wizard" 
  • Find things to be grateful for no matter how bad it gets because they are all around you big & small
  • Do something you enjoy to put yourself in positive spirits for chemo sessions. I believe this is good for the mind, body & soul.

If just one of these helps someone out there, its a good day!

PS.

Hair grows approx. 1/2 inch per month, you'll feel like doing cartwheels when it finally comes in.

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2017 #2
    Thanks for this!

I have to keep the faith....and sometimes need reminding! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited July 2017 #3
    thanks

I appriciate your positive process.

• Rose1977
    Rose1977 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017 #4
    Pain long after chemo, radiation. mastectomy

I was recently diagnosed with rotator cuff injury surgery is needed. Also have severe neck pain and knee pain only on the right side where all of the chemo, radiation and mastectomy were performed. I am 8 yrs into it. Still on cancer meds and feel like hell.  I do make myself move forward.  I swim, cook, enjoy family.  But under it all I am in pain.  I took pain meds for a while but I could not function at all.  Just would go to bed.  I have wonderful family, a granddaughter and plenty to live for.  Yet I am so depressed.  And yes I am on anti-depressants.  I look at my body it looks like Frankenboob.  I was a pretty attrative woman now I look like a train wreck. Oh and did I mention my husband just died while on a business trip?  What is the point of all of this? I do not get it.  Nor would I want anymore surgery.  Anyone else out there to commisserate with me?  Aloha, Rosalimd

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Rose

I am so sorry about the loss of your husband, this is an extremely tough time.  I think it would be good for you to talk this out to someone, you been hit by a double whammy here and alot of times, just joining a grief group or even one on one with someone helps a little.  It is kind of like that outside observation you need.  Please consider it. 

Have you ask your docs about pain management to help with the SE of the surgeries and get to the bottom of this pain?  It is so important to take care of you.  Your very important.

Keep us posted.

Hugs and prayers going up for you,

Annie

• HaveALittleFaith
    HaveALittleFaith Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2017 #6
    Rose1977 said:

I was recently diagnosed with rotator cuff injury surgery is needed. Also have severe neck pain and knee pain only on the right side where all of the chemo, radiation and mastectomy were performed. I am 8 yrs into it. Still on cancer meds and feel like hell.  I do make myself move forward.  I swim, cook, enjoy family.  But under it all I am in pain.  I took pain meds for a while but I could not function at all.  Just would go to bed.  I have wonderful family, a granddaughter and plenty to live for.  Yet I am so depressed.  And yes I am on anti-depressants.  I look at my body it looks like Frankenboob.  I was a pretty attrative woman now I look like a train wreck. Oh and did I mention my husband just died while on a business trip?  What is the point of all of this? I do not get it.  Nor would I want anymore surgery.  Anyone else out there to commisserate with me?  Aloha, Rosalimd

There are times it is not

There are times it is not easy and pain is difficult to deal with on a daily.  I know I tried whatever I could think of to make the pain better and then there were times I was in so much pain that day I just couldn't move. Each day was a new opportunity.. I just kept telling myself this is not forever. I miss the old energetic me but realize I have been given a gift, I lived to see my boys graduate to me that was priceless! I hope you find your way..

When I was really sick, I started making a gratitude list everyday.. Sometimes I would write it, other days I would just recite it out loud.  Sometimes the list was very short, the more I did it the more things I thought of to be grateful for.  Just an idea, it helped.

You may want to consider seeking professional help if you continue to struggle with depression Or call the cancer society they may have options.

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited August 2017 #7
    Rose1977 said:

I hear you Rose1977..I hear you...Its okay to vent and have bad day,,,you are still BEAUTIFUL PERSON...NEVER GIVE UP  there are a lot of people on here that can listen and learn from your Journey,,,,TROUBLE DONT LAST ALWAYS  " MAYBE A ROUGH ROAD..BUT A SAFE LANDING..KEEP FIGHTING YOU ARE WORTH IT GIRL!!!  PRAYERS GOING UP FOR YOU...

BEEPOSITIVESmile

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member

There are times it is not

There are times it is not easy and pain is difficult to deal with on a daily.  I know I tried whatever I could think of to make the pain better and then there were times I was in so much pain that day I just couldn't move. Each day was a new opportunity.. I just kept telling myself this is not forever. I miss the old energetic me but realize I have been given a gift, I lived to see my boys graduate to me that was priceless! I hope you find your way..

When I was really sick, I started making a gratitude list everyday.. Sometimes I would write it, other days I would just recite it out loud.  Sometimes the list was very short, the more I did it the more things I thought of to be grateful for.  Just an idea, it helped.

You may want to consider seeking professional help if you continue to struggle with depression Or call the cancer society they may have options.

Great words and things to think about...you are right I try to focus on the positive and not claim anything thats not there..we all think about the what if and what may happen in our head sometimes,,,,but dont give into that....im living my best new NORMAL..  THANKS AGAIN

CONTINUE TO BEEPOSITIVE !!  Smile