Acupuncture help diarrhea?

Options
KarenBinETN
KarenBinETN Member Posts: 10

Hi: I was diagnosed with Stage IV Her2+ metastastic breast cancer in my lungs in May. 

I started chemo of taxotere, Herceptin and Perjta in June. Am about to get my 3 cycle this week. My problem is intense, chronic diarrhea and have tried OTC meds, Prescription oral and now doing injections. I have been on the BRAT diet until I was shaking and weak, then switched to eating regular if bland food (grilled chicken, white potatoes, etc.) in hopes of controlling it somewhat. My oncologist is stumped too. 

Has anyone had that problem? Or tried acupuncture to get relief?

Karen

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Oh my

Karen,  I have not had this problem.  OTC helped me.  I hope you find out what is up and get this under control.

Hugs,

Annie

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    some foods

Lotsa cheese and bagels. worked for me quite a bit!

• KarenBinETN
    edited July 2017 #4
    Options
    Cheese, ice cream, oh my

Annie, thanks, never had this problem first time around. This time is just special, I guess. 

tufi0000, have tried cheese and bagles. Turned the corner today, just in time for next cycle on Thursday, so we'll see!

Karen

• KarenBinETN
    Options
    Update on acupuncture and treatment

Went to first acupuncture. Jury is still out whether it will be beneficial or not. It was relaxing and they offered me some advice on using ginger (teas and slices) to help general digestion problems. Will go a few more times to see if it helps or waste of time.

Had my third cycle today of the three-drugs Perjeta (mis-spelled earlier, aka pertuzumab), Herceptin and Taxotere. Nurses say it is the perjeta that is causing most of the diarrhea. I figure I had six tolerable days out of the last three weeks where I didn't feel like I was tied to the bathroom. We all agree that is unacceptable but are all short on answers. 

Karen

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Update on acupuncture and treatment

Went to first acupuncture. Jury is still out whether it will be beneficial or not. It was relaxing and they offered me some advice on using ginger (teas and slices) to help general digestion problems. Will go a few more times to see if it helps or waste of time.

Had my third cycle today of the three-drugs Perjeta (mis-spelled earlier, aka pertuzumab), Herceptin and Taxotere. Nurses say it is the perjeta that is causing most of the diarrhea. I figure I had six tolerable days out of the last three weeks where I didn't feel like I was tied to the bathroom. We all agree that is unacceptable but are all short on answers. 

Karen

no fun...

Water water water, helps flush all those bad toxins out.  Be kind to yourself. 

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for you or your docs to find a way to help you.  Immodeumm helped me during those rough days.  ugh. 

Get you some baby wipes too, to help keep your bottom form getting too sore.  Sitz baths help, about 2 a day. 

So many of us have been in this same place you are in now.  We feel your misery.  Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Annie

• KarenBinETN
    Options
    D-word update & acupuncture

Well, I have had four good days (even stopped taking the shots on Tuesday-Yahoo!). 

Don't know what is suddenly the golden bullet.

Have been to acupuncture three times. 

Am exactly 7 days away from next treatment (which means I only had 8 horrific days so far this cycle.)

Am eating a mostly normal diet (still no raw veggies which hurts cause I love sliced tomatos and vidalia onions).

Feel up to leaving the house even as far as going for a 30-minute workout yesterday at the local gym (just walking, squats and arm lifts, but progress is progress!)

More updates to come