ELEVENTH TREATMENT TODAY

Linda C.
Linda C. Member Posts: 107 Member

Worst day yet.  Nausea so bad all I could get down was a bowl of chicken noodle soup.  My family doctor's office called today to see how I was doing.  I told the nurse that I had horrible nausea and could not eat.  She offered to call in a script for nausea but I told her I had an appointment with the Oncologist today and that maybe he would give me something.

I drove to the treatment center, had my treatment, and  was on my way to the doctor's office when I was told that someone was there to see me.  I wasn't expecting anyone.   It was my nurse friend Ann.  I was so glad to see her and asked her to come with me to the doctor's office.  I wanted a witness to hear what he had to say.

Sure enough, he said that my nausea was not caused by the radiation.  He also said that it never has caused nausea in anyone.  It only will cause nausea if it is given along with chemo.

I couldn't believe my ears.  After a few seconds I looked at him and told him that I had just spoken to my family doctor and that he said he would call in a script for nausea if the Oncologist didn't.  Well, that set him on fire.  He left the room and returned with a script for nausea.  

Even as I walked away from him he continued to repeat himself and said my nausea was caused by something else and to get it checked out by my family doctor.  I didn't even look back at him when I told him I did not agree and left the center.

Ann sat outside with me for about 30 minutes as I was so upset and crying.  My sadness was not because I was so nauseous but because I now realized that I have an incompetent doctor.  What in the world is going to happen to me when it comes time for the real big guns to hit me, the real side effects and real pain?  Is he going to say the same ignorant things?

I drove myself home and Ann went to the store to get the script filled.  I took one at 5:00pm and it finally kicked in about 2 hours later after I had eaten some food and drink.  Tonight I'm feeling fine.

I see him again on Monday and it will not be pretty.  I have researched and printed lots of material from medical websites that state that radiation therapy does cause nausea in some patients.   I plan to hand this to him during our visit.  These Centers are all respected facilities.  And there are a lot more.

M.D. Anderson Cancer Center

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

UNM Comprehensive Cancer Center

RadiologyInfo.ORG

Texas Oncology

Cancer.NET

Comments

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Sorry to hear that. I wish

Sorry to hear that. I wish your doctor would have been willing to listen to the one person that actually knows their body - it's owner!

I have gone against some of my doctor's wishes - like refusing a feeding tube - and she insisted on giving me all the pros and cons. Then she reaffirmed every decision was my own to make and she would support and work with me whatever I choose.

I had to choose a new ENT early on because I lost faith in him. That decision may ultimately save my life.

Stick to your guns and know you're the only person that ultimately and literally has to live with the decisions made about your treatment.