Tissue Expanders

Options
lcfultz
lcfultz Member Posts: 6

I'm new to this so please bear with me...  I know that tissue expanders are only meant to stretch the skin/muscle and in no way touted to look like natural breast.  But, with that said, will there be more projection as there are more fills?  I had my BMX 2/17 and expanders placed 5/17 (200ccs at time of surgery).  I've had three 100cc fills (every two weeks) and am now up to 500ccs with another scheduled next week.  I keep waiting on projection although I understand it won't be like natural breast.  My expanders are Mentor TEXP140RH.  I'm thinking I have 2-3 more fills to go but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go as far as I want.  This last fill (my third 100cc fill) has remained uncomfortable after a week out and it seemed more painful going in.  I have not had radiation and only (Thank God) taking Tamoxifen instead of traditional chemo. I'm just concerned that everything seems so flat and spread out under my arms and is tender and uncomfortable.  Any advice?

Comments

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Projection

Icfultz,

The implants will have more projection than the expanders.  The expanders are wider than the implants will be because the doctor needs about 10% more room than the implant will need in order to get it in there and get it in place.  The implants won't project like a natural breast does, however.  It isn't the same but in clothes (and in a bathing suit) my implants look fine.  The implants are also much more comfortable.  They are much more forgiving and also don't extend to under the arms. 

Clementine

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited July 2017 #3
    Options

Thats right as Clementine_P said. I have expander in now also since 5/2017 only needed 3 fills 36B cups. ( painful each fill that day..sometimes last longer ) I statred taking Advil prior to my fills (check with your doctor first) now I completed my radiation june 2017 and will have to wait about 6 months while my breast heals from that before I can have breast checked and ready for implant (only had left breast sugery)  its not comfortable the expander but its a lot better that it was when I was getting the fills. (It will always feel like something under the arm until the implants and done)  ..hey I will deal with it!   truly Blessed !!

much success on your Journey!!! prayers up ...  Beepositive!  Smile

• lcfultz
    Options

Projection

Icfultz,

The implants will have more projection than the expanders.  The expanders are wider than the implants will be because the doctor needs about 10% more room than the implant will need in order to get it in there and get it in place.  The implants won't project like a natural breast does, however.  It isn't the same but in clothes (and in a bathing suit) my implants look fine.  The implants are also much more comfortable.  They are much more forgiving and also don't extend to under the arms. 

Clementine

Thank you for the post.  I

Thank you for the post.  I hope you are doing well.

• lcfultz
    Options

Thats right as Clementine_P said. I have expander in now also since 5/2017 only needed 3 fills 36B cups. ( painful each fill that day..sometimes last longer ) I statred taking Advil prior to my fills (check with your doctor first) now I completed my radiation june 2017 and will have to wait about 6 months while my breast heals from that before I can have breast checked and ready for implant (only had left breast sugery)  its not comfortable the expander but its a lot better that it was when I was getting the fills. (It will always feel like something under the arm until the implants and done)  ..hey I will deal with it!   truly Blessed !!

much success on your Journey!!! prayers up ...  Beepositive!  Smile

Thank you for the post.  I'm

Thank you for the post.  I'm glad your fills and radiation are done and you are doing well.  I do take Ibuprofen before each fill and after the second day with the first two seemed fine (just the continuous pressure).  However, this last fill (my third 100cc fill) it took like 5 days.  I'm wondering if that just the norm as the process progresses.  It makes sense I guess that as the tissues are expanded more the process becomes more difficult.  I'm having to go large on the cc's as I'm 5'5' and weigh 150 and fairly wide chested.  I was a 34C previously and hope to get back to that (or close).  Have a great day/weekend.

• lcfultz
    Options
    Thank you for the comment.  I

Thank you for the comment.  I've read so much on the internet and still question this process.  I am blessed but ready for all this to be over.  I'm a little OCD (not diagnosed) and have always felt I need to be in control of every situation and this is a play it by ear thing.  My PS says we will know when we hit the size or max out at 800+ cc's.  I hope you have a wonderful day/weekend.

• lcfultz
    edited July 2017 #7
    Options

Projection

Icfultz,

Clementine

Did you go with saline or

Did you go with saline or silicone,  projection(?), round or anatomical and are you pleased with the results? 

• Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    lcfultz said:

Did you go with saline or

Did you go with saline or silicone,  projection(?), round or anatomical and are you pleased with the results? 

Silicone

I went with silicone.  I was told that people in our circumstances (with no breast tissue), the silicone look more natural because they ripple less than saline. If the silicone breaks it won't leak or deflate, and so you may not even know or have to deal with the right away.  If you need to fix the silicone, though, you will need surgery.  With the saline if they rupture, they will deflate and you will have to have it attended to immediately. With saline, though, it may be able to be repaired without surgery.  I have had my implants now for about 7 years.  I am happy with the results.  They are comfortable and look natural.  My plastic surgeon picked high profile round implants for me.  I was surprised by that because I thought I would pick the size/shape.  I hear from others that it is up to the plastic surgeon - some let the patient choose.  Of course, it ought to be a dialog between you and the surgeon, but my surgeon pretty much made the choice for me.

I hope you are doing well and feel free to ask any more questions that come to mind.

Take care,

Clementine

• lcfultz
    Options
    Thank you for all the

Thank you for all the information.  My PS is really nice and he is highly recommended.  I've told him after researching the internet that I'm thinking I would prefer high-profile silicone and told him I liked the shape of the anatomical but had concerns with rotation and not wanting additional surgeries for something that could be avoided.  He told me to stay off the internet and that we were on the same page.  ????  I'm going to leave it up to him since he's the expert.  I just have to learn to let go of the reins.  I appreciate you're taking the time to respond and give all the information.

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options

yes , its a journey..but ..there is always someone a lot worst then we are...counting my blessing..even with that the expander muscle spasms occur sometimes also. your PS is right >>>>stay off internet you will drive yourself CrAzY with all that info..and some if it is not true.  I just keep asking my doctors a lot of questions.....after you finish your fills it will settle down some..  Best Wishes with everything....HANG IN THERE YOU WILL BE FINE.   BEEPOSITIVE!