Scared and appreciative and just plain emotional

Options
2»

Comments

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    Options
    It will get better

My husband finished treatments in April.  He is just now starting to eat three meals a day.  It made me feel very anxious about his nutrition and weight at the beginning but his dr told me that there was nothing to worry about.  It would take time and the standard " everybody is different" reply.  But, it's true.  There cannot be a timeline because it doesn't work.  You cannot plan because the plans do not always work out.  But, he is here.  You have another day with him and your boys have their dad.  Yes, he's weak and not eating.  It's a stressful time but it will pass.  Cancer changes everything.  It's the "new normal" that comes with the territory.  

Cry and be mad and then breathe.  Counseling is amazing.   Meditation is another great outlet.  In another few months you'll be amazed at the changes.  Hang in there

• Tilly26
    Tilly26 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    MMDowns said:

It will get better

My husband finished treatments in April.  He is just now starting to eat three meals a day.  It made me feel very anxious about his nutrition and weight at the beginning but his dr told me that there was nothing to worry about.  It would take time and the standard " everybody is different" reply.  But, it's true.  There cannot be a timeline because it doesn't work.  You cannot plan because the plans do not always work out.  But, he is here.  You have another day with him and your boys have their dad.  Yes, he's weak and not eating.  It's a stressful time but it will pass.  Cancer changes everything.  It's the "new normal" that comes with the territory.  

Cry and be mad and then breathe.  Counseling is amazing.   Meditation is another great outlet.  In another few months you'll be amazed at the changes.  Hang in there

Thank you

oh, thank you for this note. They do help to read. The new normal is right. We want the old normal so badly and we have to accept that is not going to be. Appreciate every day more than we ever have. I just hope I can look more positively and not get so down when I look at things- like "oh, I hope this isn't the last 4th of July" or not trying to look at every moment with the kids like it may be some of the last ones... and i absolutely know that is not the  way to think, but a bitterness in me does sometimes. That's why being on here is very helpful! And his PET scan is scheduled soon and I think that will give us a (praying) more positive and safer feeling. 

Thanks again:)

• rcaulder
    rcaulder Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2017 #24
    Options
    It will be ok...

It will be all ok with some time. Progress forward is not measured from day to day but month to month to year.

• Kskokko
    Kskokko Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Tilly26

Your husband and i are moving in parallel.  Ten weeks out from my last rad and progress is so very slow And frustrating.   I do not know if I will ever overcome the fatigue, the neuropathy or regain my taste.   Pet scan 7/25.