Popping in to say hello

Options
LiseA
LiseA Member Posts: 266
edited July 2017 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

One of the reasons I haven't been by  because I forgot my password, and sometimes have problems logging in. Then I get distracted and go on to something else.

Maybe some of you will remember me. A year ago I was in Houston around this time undergoing radiation. I finished on July 12th.  Had 35 rads plus 6 boosters.  

On the 17th of this month I will be going back to MDA to have my 4th checkup.  So far, the other 3 were NED.  I was under the impression that the first year was every 3 months? Or perhaps I'm wrong.  I see they're setting up appts for October and January already!

I have been busy and happy.  In April I began working out with weights.  Had gone back to the gym 3 weeks after rads. Did very easy exercises, but needed to feel normal.  I would go 3 x week. Worked up to 5 days, then 7. I really think it's helped with the fatigue. 

Been to Europe twice!  December and last month. I have gone to about 5-6 concerts. Never too old for rock music :)!  Went to 3 musicals, and couple out of town trips. I also finished two semesters of German. 

I am noticing some memory loss that is different from regular forgetfulness.

I choke occasionally on my food.  Sometimes I wake and have coughing fits before I can swallow freely.

If I go out in the sun for a couple minutes, my neck that was treated tends to feel like it's on fire, and this is with 50 spf sunscreen. 

My taste has changed. Some things I just can't taste...like steak, but burger meat has a flavor. 

Chicken breast is hard to swallow so I grind the Breast and make chicken patties. I add lots of finely chopped

veggies and herbs. Comes out juicy and easy to swallow!

I crave cucumbers, parsnip, turnips and rutabaga. Never ate the last 3 before in my life. Now I eat them daily with my meals. They all have a strong flavor and perhaps that's why. 

My smile is still lopsided, and I do feel self conscious when someone tells me to smile for photos. I have some dizzy spells off and on. My doc said it's from the radiation.

otherwise, I have no serious complaints. Glad it's over, and that I am alive. Hope all the members who were here helping me, are still around, and doing well. 

Steven? Or was it Stephen? He had to go through the process just months after doing it the first time. I always think of him. 

Comments

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good to hear from you. I'm

Good to hear from you. I'm almost 2 years out and share many of your experiences, well side effects. Bill

• stevenpepe
    stevenpepe Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Hi Lise, yes the second round

Hi Lise, yes the second round was tough and changed things for me. I lost considerable tissue in my neck and I hate the way it looks. The skin is all bunched up, wrinkled, and just plain awful looking. Eating is a chore. Like everyone here, I have to drink water with each bite. Most foods I can taste but it's not the same. I sometimes get angry because I'm the only person who went through this everywhere I go. And was not a high risk either. Life can be so unfair. I see people drinking, smoking, eating poorly, and they are somehow spared. But I'm alive, they say, so I should be grateful. To some degree I am, but I still get bummed after this experience. 

I don't like to complain but I know the folks here understand better than anyone. I hope you have continued good health and that things improve for you.

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    edited July 2017 #4
    Options
    Hi Steven, good to hear from

Hi Steven, good to hear from you, but so sorry you got the **** end of the stick!  That would be difficult to deal with. have you had any recent scans?  I hope they got all the cancer this time, and you never have to deal with that awful disease.

my neck is a little indented on the side of dissection, and my smile is still lopsided. Speech has improved. Any interference with the tongue messes up speech. Mine is getting better very slowly. 

I imagine trying to eat and not having your tongue cooperate could be very stressful. You really got hit hard!  

Where did you get your treatment?